side vent window replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2002, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default side vent window replacement

My passenger side vent window on my 89 Bronco doesn't close tight enough, so you can hear the wind squealing through it as I drive down the road. Up until now I have shoved a nut behind the latch to seal it up for a quick fix. I have a LMC Catolog with Accessories and Parts with a bunch off components for the vent window, so I figure I might as well order the parts to really fix it with (cause I'm tired of loosing the nut that fits behind the latch) haha. My question is will the same latch and window seal from an 80-86 fit on a 87-91? From the catolog it looks like everything is almost identicle, but I would like to for sure before I order everything and it ends up not fitting properly. Thanks.

89 302, 33x12.50 TSL Super Swampers with no lift [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2002, 04:41 PM
Veteran

BRONCOMANIA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: side vent window replacement

Steve83 probably has the answer to that. I know the vent window assy, and the window channel are not the same 87-up as the 80-86. My gues would be the latches are but the seal not, they made the window channel wider in 87 and i think the vent window glass narrower. Before LMC started offering the parts, Steve had the only rust free pre-87 vent frame i could find [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it'll work (for the exact reasons BRONCOMANIA listed), but it's easy to salvage a good rubber seal from a trashed frame. The latch is the same from '80-96.

It's even easier to fix your frame, though. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] Pull the vent window from the door & bend the U-strap at the bottom to the outboard side. This will move the pivot shaft outboard, pressing the window harder against the seal. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] If the top pivot rivet is wallowed out, drill it out & put a new rivet or bolt in it.

If you find a decent '87-91 vent window assembly at a reasonable price, buy it and pull the plastic spacer strip from the channel so your door glass will fit. Your door weatherbelts won't, but they're probably dry-rotted anyway, so just trim them down a little or get some '87-96 weatherbelts. You'll have to drill new holes in the door panel, though, for the clips.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:02 PM
froggy

anyone know where or if you can get the glass only for the vent windows? 89 bronco
Old 11-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Mud in my Veins

Default Re: vent window glass

Junkyard, Ford, glass shop.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

broncobilly69 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do remove the vent window frame? Mine got busted by some punk breaking into the truck.Bent the frame.Now it won't seal tightly.
Thanks,
Billy
Old 11-11-2002, 05:57 PM
Veteran

BRONCOMANIA is an unknown quantity at this point

Which frame are you referring to, the one around just the glass or the whole assy including the channel for the side glass?

Just did mine about 2 months ago, the one i bought from steve a year ago [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Default Re: moving the vent window

Pull the door panel, the single 7/16-head bolt near the divider, & the 2 or 3 screws on the front angled edge of the door. With the window rolled all the way down, pull the window felt out of the top of the door near the divider & rotate the whole frame rearward. Pull the rest of the felt out as you work the frame out of the door. Try not to scratch the paint at the top of the door frame with the top corner of the window frame as you work the bracket for the single bolt out of the slot.

Once you have it out, you'll see how it's put together. The riveted pivot at the top is held on the frame by 2 screws, so if you remove them & the nut on the bottom, you can pull the window from the frame & even remove the rubber. When removing the bottom nut, be careful that you don't twist the bolt it's on - there are 2 flats on it that you can hold with a crescent wrench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement