My radiator wont drain. What to do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2002, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default My radiator wont drain. What to do?

I went to do a few things to the bronco today. I was going to drain and flush the coolant and replace the thermostat. I put a hose on the radiator drain valve and tried to turn it on. The valve turned no problem but nothing came out. I took off the radiator cap to see if the vacuum was keeping the coolant in but that didn't help either. What could be the problem? Just a jamed valve?

I could have taken off the lower radiator hose but I didn't want coolant spilling all over the place. (I had already spilled enough trany fluid.)

P.S. I was also going to replace the t-case fluid but the fill bolt there is stripped. (good thing I didn't drain it before checking) Any garage should be able to drill that out and replace it right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

CJ7Attitude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My radiator wont drain. What to do?

Not sure what to tell you on the radiator, but I'm sure that the fill plug could be drilled and taken out with an easy-out if it's not not frozen up too tight. You can get an easy out at most any parts store or hardware store. Just make sure you use the right size drill, and turn the easy out nice and slow and in the correct direction...I've made that mistake before [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:54 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TheJuice is an unknown quantity at this point

You are speaking of the drain cock on the radiator right? that is what's stuck? Try some penetrating oil and get that thing to come free. since you are going to all the trouble, thermo and everything, make sure you flush it our real good. And, I have never been able to figure out how NOT to spill a bunch of coolant all over the place. I try, but it just isn't happening.

Mary Kate, you have NOT filled out your bio!!?? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I was going there to see what year/tcase you might have, but I am out of luck. Is your fill plug a square holed plug? Aluminum Tcase? Hate to see you spend money on someone doing this when you may be able to get this out yourself. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

no, it sounds as if the valve is open but the drain is corroded shut... try shoving a coat hanger up there maybe? dunno... can't think right now, we're at 5th overtime, at this rate we'll beat our 7 OT record from last year [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

errr, make that 6th [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your coolant is dark or unusually red, you've probably got a radiator full of rust that's clogging the whole bottom. Try warming up the engine (thoroughly) and then rinse the radiator while holding the fan stopped. (The clutch will let you. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) Watch how the water dries - if only the top dries immediately, you'll be able to see exactly how far up the core is packed with sludge because the packed area won't have any hot coolant inside to evaporate the water on the outside. I once spent 2 hours trying to flush one out before finally buying a new one. When I cracked open the tanks, some of the sludge was DRY! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That gives you an indication of how solidly packed it was and how long it had been that way. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I had the idea to try to flush it when the drain valve didn't work... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You are speaking of the drain cock on the radiator right? that is what's stuck?

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what I'm talking about. But it's not stuck (kind of). I can turn the 'wingnut-shaped handel' no problem but the fluid doesn't come out.

Mary Kate, you have NOT filled out your bio!!??

[/ QUOTE ]Done

I was going there to see what year/tcase you might have, but I am out of luck. Is your fill plug a square holed plug? Aluminum Tcase?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes the fill and drain plugs on my t-case are both 'square holed' plugs. Except the fill plug is a 'circle holed' plug (stripped out the wazoo).
Old 10-05-2002, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your coolant is dark or unusually red, you've probably got a radiator full of rust that's clogging the whole bottom. I had the idea to try to flush it when the drain valve didn't work...

[/ QUOTE ]

I deffently have rust in my coolant. You are probally correct about it cloging the valve. When I turned the valve on not even a drop of coolant came out.

Replacing a radiator sounds somewhat complicated. Should I not worry about it because the winter is approching? I don't think my engine can overheat in a Vermont winter, even with no radiator.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Journeyman

kortam is an unknown quantity at this point

replacina a radiator isnt too hard, and even with winter coming itd be a good idea to do it if you cant flush out your clog
Old 10-05-2002, 11:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TheJuice is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that you started you better finish. Sounds like the radiator is major plugged. Note that Steve spent 2 hours trying to unlug and then bought a new one. So, I suggest you pull the hoses and get the radiator out. It really iseasy to pull from the truck. Sould take about 1 hour. examine, and have a new one handy. If it is that clogged, do not put a new one in until the thermostat is replaced, it has been flushed throughly, maybe new hoses, and then new coolent. The green stuff, no other.

Someone mentioned an easy out. You can do this. It is just a drill bit kinda deal (you have a drill?) basically the idea is drill a small hole in the messed up plug, screw the easy out in (I believe it screws counterclockwise) and by screwing it in, it screws the plug out by force. (easy out tighens via counter clock, which is loosen for the plug) Be careful if you are working with aluminum!! Torques, etc, are less with aluminum.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:55 PM
Old Hand

Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut Territory, Arctic, Canada, now Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Sixlitre is an unknown quantity at this point

A rad shop can boil(hot tank) old style brass rad, but I don't know if they can do much for the newer plastic header tank types.

It is important to fix before Winter. Even Vermont gets warm days and you can fry/boil the back few cylinders enough to crack a head or blow a head gasket. Also I'd assume you'd be interested in the heater working better this Winter too.

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement