Engine code 565- Canister purge circuit failure? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Engine code 565- Canister purge circuit failure?

Well, after smelling a very strong catalytic converter smell while the engine was running and seeing my mileage diminish somewhat and the "check engine" light cycle on and off intermittently I ran the diagnostics on my rig the other day and got back these codes.....
KOEO- 565 Canister purge circuit failure.
KOER- 173 Lack of heated Oxygen. Sensor switches indicates rich bank1.

I went ahead and replaced the O2 sensor as I figured it couldn't hurt. It did nothing as the same codes returned on a following diagnostics check. I had heard that you need to clear the vehicles storage of these codes by disconnecting your battery, so I did that before running the second diagnostics, also I cleared the scanner's previous check. I have been looking in my trusty Chilton's manual the same code number 173 refers to the "HEGO shows system always rich" which is Heated Oxygen is the "HEGO" in that statement I assume. As I stated I have replaced the O2 sensor so would the other code "565 Canister purge circuit failure" be causing the engine to run rich? Maybe I should have replaced the "Circuit purge solenoid" instead? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 05:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engine code 565- Canister purge circuit failure?

The canister purge solenoid dangles in its vacuum line between the R side of the engine and the canister on the R frame rail, so its wiring could have hit the exhaust manifold.

You shouldn't disconnect the battery - it also kills the KAM (Keep-Alive Memory power) which is all the info your computer has "learned" about your particular engine and your driving habits. To clear the codes, just trigger the cycle a second time and disconnect or turn off the scanner while the codes are being flashed out.

HEGO is Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor, so: yes, it's the same thing. Be sure you've cleared the codes as above and retest. If the new oxygen sensor is really detecting a rich condition, you'll have to start looking at other sensors &amp; stuff. (That's a technical term. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]) Check <a target="_blank" href=http://www.broncodata.com/main/centcodes.htm>havack's site</a> for the procedure to pull codes &amp; a list of codes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-2002, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found the canister purge solenoid and it is in good looking shape with no visible issues. Steve, according to the Chiltons book your supposed to clear the KAM when replacing any emissions related part as the correction factor will be applied to the new part. Mind you I am reading aout of the book so I am not arguing, just curious. Also the book is stating to have removed the negative battery cable when clearing the KAM and I removed the positive cable, would that make a difference? It's supposed to drive badly for about a couple of miles or so after doing that kind of replacement and KAM clearing but it ran fine after replacing the O2 sensor. I am wondering if I actually cleared the KAM??? In regards to other "sensors and stuff" are there any other O2 sensors to check? I believe I only have 1 sensor but I have seen the term of Oxygen sensor and Heated Oxygen sensor and they are side by side descriptions on how to pull either one from this book. I have a 93 Bronco and I can only find 1 O2 sensor. Well, thanks for the input Steve.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

The terms are synonymous and you only have 1. It takes several minutes for the KAM to die, but it doesn't matter where the circuit is broken - positive or negative. The reason they ALWAYS say to pull the negative is that a wrench on the positve that accidentally touches the body will throw sparks &amp; could explode the battery - a wrench on the negative won't do anything.

If they recommend killing the KAM, try it. The only reason not to is that it will have to re-learn the adaptive strategy, but if they say that's necessary, go for it.

The other sensors &amp; stuff I was referring to would be injector(s), fuel pressure regulator, MAP, ECT, ACT, IAC, EGR EVP, KS, TPS - pretty much everything the computer uses to either detect or control how the engine runs, with extra attention on things pertaining to fuel mixture.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input Steve.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,
I replaced "O2 sensor" and the all of the original errors remained. I then replaced the "Canister Purge Solenoid" and the only error to remain was the "KOER- 173 Lack of heated Oxygen. Sensor switches indicates rich bank1". What provides heated oxygen and what else can I check? Thanks for the input... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

Default Engine code 173

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.broncodata.com/main/centcodes.htm>My list</a> describes 173 as "Right HEGO indicates rich". Yours appears to have an extraneous period after "Oxygen". I think it should read "KOER- 173 Lack of heated Oxygen Sensor switches indicates rich bank 1." The Heated (Exhaust Gas) Oxygen sensor, i.e., HEGO, is apparently not switching for some reason. I'd guess there's either an obstruction in the exhaust pipe directing the exhaust away from it, preventing it from detecting &amp; operating normally (not likely), OR there may be a fault in the heating element circuit (more likely). It comes off the purple/yellow circuit (can't remember which fuse) which also feed A LOT of other things and runs around the front of the radiator to the R side near the battery where it drops down by the engine mount &amp; goes to the sensor. Make sure you have good power &amp; ground to the appropriate terminals in the connector, and test for a signal voltage. Then, using the old &amp; the new sensors, trace the fault.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:06 AM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

how much was that purge solenoid and where did you get it? mine has that same code but i've never tried to fix it... maybe that will fix something else too, that would be nice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2002, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About $45 from Napa. The part number I gave them was changed by FORD so they have to do some part number cross referncing but when I got the part it had the same number as the original part stamped on it, go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.