4x4 Aerostar? WTF? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 Aerostar? WTF?

I saw an aerostar (i think, whatever the ugly boxy ford minivan is) today with decals that said "Electronic Four Wheel Drive"... what's this all about? Sounds like something worth hacking the fenders, throwing on some 33's, and sending to the promiseland in style to me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Does anybody have info on such a creature?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast

85NHBronc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4x4 Aerostar? WTF?

I don't have any info, but I would guess it is all wheel drive, as in front wheel drive with rear wheel added. It gets worse... I think they made a Tempo like that too!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Pooh-Bah

reptillikus is an unknown quantity at this point

oh dear god....
next thing you know, youll see outbacks on 33's

last year, at the spring swap meet near me, i saw a 80-something camino with 4wd and 35's
I also saw a red 86 vette in 35's
Can you belive that?!!! Wish i had pics!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:04 AM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, except that it said "electronic four wheel drive", which makes me think it is a part-time unit with switches that control the tcase motor. if i had been thinking i woulda looked inside to see if it had any switches, i'm on the lookout now. i did a quick search on altavista and saw 4x4 aerostars as early as 88 and as late as 95! Had no idea! They are all calling it 4x4 too, not AWD. Some came with 4.0's too, so i guess it's really just a tall Exploder with a sliding door. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I would like to find out what kinda drivetrain it has because it might be a nice swap for a Zuk, from engine to tcase.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

on second thought... they are front wheel drive, so the tcase actually puts torque to the rear axle in the 4x4 models, but still has a transaxle (i'm guessing). not worth swapping into anything, but would still be fun to lincoln lock the diffs and throw on some 33's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

it appears to be a dana 28 full-time case with a chain, does that mean it is more of a 4x4 setup than AWD, or could it still have a viscuous coupling somewhere? maybe it IS a standard 4x4 design (not transaxle), i dont know. need to crawl around under one i guess. interesting thought though, would surely be a favorite at the mud races [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2002, 07:12 AM
Pooh-Bah

havack is an unknown quantity at this point

lok around hard and you will find a AWD tempo as well!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:30 AM
Old Hand

tanbuddy is an unknown quantity at this point

The aerostars are actually rear wheel drive, asnd use the a4ld trans from bronc2/ranger. The front wheels grip when the rear spin. Not sure of the engines, though. My neighbor had one with like 240k on it, but it lookedlike hell!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Pooh-Bah

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a skiing buddy that has one.
4.0 V6.
Yep, the rear wheels are the primary drive, and the fronts kick in when the going gets tough.
OK setup, but not much for ground clearance.
No 4X lo either.
I guess you could say they're for "rugged" soccer moms.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

And, seen a few AWD Tempo's around here.
Actually still running.[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Curious, I've always like the "plain-jane" 2 door with the small spoiler on the rear deck.
Be a good Auto-Crosser in AWD mode.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:22 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steve83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The border patrol buys lots of them. You can get them from gov't auctions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement