Variable Venturi Carbs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2000, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Variable Venturi Carbs

Hey Guys any body know anything about Fords variable venturi carbs. My 82 had one stock from the factory and I can not get the truck to run right with this carb. I had the EEC-III ignition system but have since axed that in favor of the older duraspark 2 system. When we made this change the original computer was taken off line and I was wondering if the computer controlled the carb. The truck is running so rich that the plugs last about 20 minutes with the truck idling before they are black and sooty and unusable. Is there any adjustment or should I trash the carb for an older 2 barrel or would the 302 run better with a small 4 barrel. I am leaning towards the 4 barrel but here are my engine specs. The motor is a 302 bored .040 over with stock heads and a 204/214 cam grind. I will be putting headers on this summer as well. If anybody has any thoughts, I would appreciate any insight to this problem. Thanks

Mudd

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]If it's stuck, force it! If it break's,it needed replacing anyway!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Variable Venturi Carbs

All I know is, GET RID OF THe V-V CARB! I think Holley Makes an emmision leagal 4 bbl replacement.
I know this is not much help but,

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
astein1964@uswest.net
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-29-2000, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default I feel your pain and I have been through your nightmare

I too had a 1982 Bronco with the Variable Venturi Carb and I had immense trouble with it. I replaced everything on the motor chasing its demons, and I used all ford parts along the way. Including a brand new $600.00 carb from ford. I called everyone I could think of trying to make that thing run with no success until I found a rolled bronco with the 4V High output induction and ignition system. I purchased the whole system from the junkyard and installed it in place of the variable venturi setup. The truck never ran better, and it had a ton more power thanks to its holley 4V carb. You might try cruising the junkyards to see if you can find this setup. It came on 1983-85 5.0 mustangs and 1984 to 1987 5.8 trucks. Another option would be to get a standard Motorcraft 2150 2V carb. I have one if you want it, $20.00 and you pay shipping, it worked fine until I upgraded to a carter AFB 4V. It is jetted for a 351M, but given your cam selection it is probrably right on. It would be wise to put a kit in it though. Another plan would be to junk the VV intake and get an aluminum intake and holley or carter carb. A holley carb usually runs better, the carter is more reliable. Summit sells a combo, with a holley 4V, weiand intake, and a chrome 14" air cleaner for $317.00. Heck of a deal if you ask me. Good luck, and email me at jesmith@ttu.edu of you are interested in that carb

UFO's and big rigs, They come from outer space
Old 07-02-2000, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Variable Venturi Carbs

Holley makes a legal replacement 2v carb. for the vv. I have done a few and they run nice. The vv is a neat carb when they are working. You got to know how to rebuild them right. They don't like any dirt.I work for Ford and I have found few guys that can fix them. I had to fix one on a friend's son's v-6 pinto. I was surprised that I still have the touch since its been years since I rebuilt one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement