Truck pulls to right in 4WD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Ford > Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco

Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2000, 06:53 AM
mudmonger

Default Truck pulls to right in 4WD

>>Problem is this-my 89 F-150 pulls to the right when the hubs are locked. It gets more noticable at higher speeds-especially when the tranfer case is not engaged. It has done this ever since the shop put gears in the front end and they said it could be the difference in tire hieghth-there have been 3 other tires there since that one and all pull right. The alignment has been checked and it drives straight with hubs unlocked. New hubs were put on with no change. Spindle needle bearings looked fine and were repacked as well as wheel bearings. It has also always thumped or bolted a little when turning sharp in 4WD. Could this all be caused be worn U-joints or is this normal since the passenger side uses 2 U-joints instead of one like driver's side. By the way it does have a fairly tight limited slip in the front. If anyone has had this problem or has an answer I would appreciate hearing from you. TIA. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2000, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Truck pulls to right in 4WD

I sure don't have a solution, Mudmonger. But did you actually swap Front tires from Left to Right and vice-versa at any time? Just a thought.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most likely the problem is being caused by the limited slip up front. i have always heard and read that lockers/limited slips up front will have very negative effects on steering in 4wd. Since you have had your hubs replaced, alignments done, and tires changed, I cant think of any other reasons besides the limited slip up front. Think about it, what does a limited slip do? It creates positive traction until the difference in traction between the two wheels becomes too great. When you turn in 4wd, a limited slip wont allow the rate the tires are spinning at to differentiate immediately, like an open diff would. I have never heard of a limited slip that does this though...its strange. You sure you dont have a locker or posi in your dana44 front?

hope this helps!
Roland

Old 01-19-2000, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had this problem too. (I have LS in the front also)

The problem was that one hub was not engaging. You might want to double check that both are actually locking.

My limited slip is also very tight and sometimes pulls to one side if there is any kind of slant to the road. On level ground it just wants to go straight and requires some effort to turn.

Old 01-20-2000, 06:00 AM
mudmonger

>>>Well, I have swapped the front tires once and have even had the rear tires on the front on opposite sides and saw no difference. It does have a very tight limited slip in the front-think it was a trac-loc or something like that-don't have the receit handy. I will check to see if both hubs actually engage-last time I got stuck all four were still spinning, but, that was this summer and I haven't checked since. I can live with pulling at road speeds(it doesn't shoot off the road), but, is the bumping and slight lunging feeling normal when turning sharp, even for a limited slip? Thanks for the responses and help so far. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Old 01-21-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The thumping, grabbing, or groaning in tight turns can happen if the correct limited slip additive hasn't been put in. If this came up after a gear change, are you sure they put in additive?

NormSpeed
Old 01-22-2000, 07:10 AM
mudmonger

>>>Norm, I gave them the additive to put in and the frontend works like a limited slip-can't be sure they actually used it though. It did this before the gears and posi went in though-should I maybe just replace the u-joints just in case? All help is greatly appreciated. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Old 01-22-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im confused. you say its a limited slip, then you refer to it as a posi. Is it a locker/posi? or is it a limited slip?

Old 01-22-2000, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hard to imagine U joints putting up that much resistance. If they were that tight, you could feel it by jacking up the front wheels and turning by hand with the hubs engaged. I'd sure like to hear what the cure is, when you find it.

NormSpeed
Old 01-23-2000, 12:16 AM
mudmonger

Default Re: posi/limited slip

>>>Roland, to my understanding a posi is slang for limited slip(believe it started with something called a positraction rear-end) and a locker is a locker. I just got tired of typing limited slip. Sorry for any confusion. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement