'94 1500 4x4 frt. axle nut size? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > Dodge 4x4 vehicles

Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 07:22 AM
Old Hand

jeepnmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default \'94 1500 4x4 frt. axle nut size?

i am changing the front hub bearing assemblies on my 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 tonight and need to take off the big nut that holds the front axle stub-shaft against the hub. i want to buy the properly sized socket today, but would like some input on the proper socket size. i measured it last night with a tape measure and it appeared to be about 42mm. is this correct? thanks for any info! matt

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2001, 09:43 PM

superswamper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: \'94 1500 4x4 frt. axle nut size?

I forget the size but its a pain in the ass if you don't get the new bearing with the rotor already on it. You need to seperate the hub bearing from the rotor with a puller and press on the new one if I remember correctly. I did it for my 95 2500 w/dana 60... Good luck.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2001, 07:39 AM
Old Hand

jeepnmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: \'94 1500 4x4 frt. axle nut size?

here is some info for everyone else that may have to replace or remove their hub bearing assembly (that is the proper name). here goes:

1. jack up the front and put on jackstands
2. remove tire and wheel
3. remove caliper. you'll need a 3/8 allen wrench for this
4. remove rotor
5. remove cotter-pin that secures big lock-nut in the middle
6. loosen each of the 3 bolts that hold the bearing to the spindle. i was told they require a 13mm 12point socket, but used a 9/16" 12 point in stead
7. get a 1 11/16" socket and a big impact wrench. soak the nut in penetrant (i did this the night before). let your air compressor reach max pressure and start hammering. it took my 25gallon craftsman compressor 3 cycles to finally get it off. i would keep hammering with the impact until the compressor kicked on, then wait for it to stop running before starting over.
8. i had to drive some small chisles behind the hub bearing to pop it out of the knuckle, but it came right out.

it took me about 20 minutes to get everything apart and another 30 minutes to clean everything and re-assemble. one thing though, that big nut is on tight! if your impact won't take it off, i'd recommend throwing the tire and wheel back on, setting it on the ground, and using a breaker bar and cheater pipe to break it loose. i also heated the nut up with a propane torch, just to help it off. hope this helps you guys! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement