86 Power Ram - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > Dodge 4x4 vehicles

Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2001, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 86 Power Ram

Hello,
I have been hanging around the GM board for quite some time even though I own a Ram Charger. My 16 year old son brought home an 86 Power Ram for possible purchase and I have few questions.

It is in great shape accept for a severe backfire on deceleration. It fires both through the carb and out the tail pipe. The seller says it is some valve in the carb. Any ideas?

It is a 5.2, 4 barrel, 132000 miles.

Anything else we should check before we close the deal?

Thanks, George Yarger
85 Ram Charger
Maybe an 86 Power Ram?

85 Dodge Ram Charger
Dallas
The Grass withers and the flower fades but the word of our God lasts forever.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2001, 08:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 86 Power Ram

Hate to reply to my own post but scrating around under the hood I discovered that it has an edelbrock intake and a Holley four barrel carb.

85 Dodge Ram Charger
Dallas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2001, 09:54 PM

superswamper is an unknown quantity at this point

I would guess the timing might be off if it back fires or maybe a weak ignition???

Old 11-02-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check the coil this sounds just like a problem I had which turned out to be the coil.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, We did the deal so now it is my problem. I will go about checking the ignition. The guy I bought it from said it was the "power valve" whatever that is. I will check that too.

Also, what is the best way to handle rust. It has a little just peeking through the back fenders at the lip. I am planning to ad some flairs to cover it but I have to stop it first.

85 Dodge Ram Charger
Dallas
Old 11-04-2001, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"power valve" must be a holley, you have to take the carb off and dissassemble the front bowel. the power valve is a round valve that needs i think a 1" wrench to take off. you should be able to buy one at a local parts store.

Old 11-04-2001, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That sounds fun. It is a Holley, I am not sure of its cfm or type. How do I tell for sure if the power valve is bad? I inherited this carb, so how do I know which valve to get? Will the old valve have some sort of markings or identification? I have read the valve needs to match vacuum pressure.

86 Dodge Power Ram
Dallas
Old 11-04-2001, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I found a receipt in the glove box for a new rotor, cap, and wires. The coil appears new but that really means very little. It appears the previous owner was trying track this down as well.

86 Dodge Power Ram
Dallas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement