Does a chip work?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > Dodge 4x4 vehicles

Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Does a chip work??

Ok, after all the hype that I've heard about here on the BBS about performance chips I had to find out if the things really work. I wrote to hypertech and Jet Performance on the same nite to see if the things would effect the smog crap on my truck in any way and Jet replied in less than a day. It took hypertech two and a half weeks!! What service!
So, After they both assured me that it would not negatively effect my truck in any way I decided to go with the Jet Stage 2. I have the 360, manual transmission, K&N filter and a 2 chamber Flowmaster.
I got the chip/module last night and went to work on the install. The module was easy, unplug the factory harness from the computer, plug in the chip and plug the harness into the chip. Easy enough right?? Wrong, you also have to change the thermostat to a 180.. Off with the air cleaner housing, the serpentine belt, the alternator, and all mounting brackets in the general area. Any of you that have done this before know what I'm talking about... It's not as fun as it sounds.
Ok, with everything back together it was time for the test drive!! And I am still amazed that the little black box makes such a big difference!! I am no longer a skeptic,,,, this thing really works!!

(one last note, when you buy the thermostat it does not come with a new gasket for the waterneck so make sure you ask for one!)

We are suppose to go to Hollister Hills this weekend so I'll let ya know how it performs offroad.

Powder

"If you can't Dodge it, RAM it!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2000, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Does a chip work??

Hey Powder,
Just a few quick question for ya... How much did you pay for that stage 2? How much power would you say that you have gained? Last has your gas mile increased? Don't you have to use 92oct. now? Thanks DDGETHS

DDGETHS
98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360, 3"lift with 33's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2000, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I paid $260 for the chip and $14 for the new thermostat. I don't know how much actual hp I got. I'd have to stick it on a dyno to find out. I just put it in on Wednesday night and haven't gone through a full tank of gas under normal driving Jet does recommend that you run 92 oct. with it so it is a little more cost but if I do get better gas mileage it'll equal that out. I'll update this post after I've had it in the truck for a while and have more info.

Powder

Old 11-04-2000, 05:32 AM
Addict

Jarom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool deal Powder! I can't wait to see that thing fly up the New Comp Hill at Pismo.

<font color=red>"A Bird In the Hand Is Worth More Than A Bush"</font color=red>
Old 11-04-2000, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, me too... Pismo is only 2 weeks away!!!!

Powder
"Live Better, Work Union"
"Vote for Gore or us Union Brothers are in for a world of hurt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement