Off Roading Forums banner

2017 Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks COVERAGE THREAD!

4K views 16 replies 1 participant last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 ·
It's finally that time! The 2017 Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks is almost underway! We're packing up and marking items off the checklist!

Subscribe to this thread for awesome pictures and coverage from the 2017 Rally. If you're attending this event, feel free to share your photos here as well, we'd all love to see them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are a few photos of our journey from Phoenix, AZ to Moab.

In true tire guy fashion we were ready to take off as a team and our shop truck pulling our loaded Discount Tire race trailer, had a flat front tire. After inspection we found the valve stem had a leak. Fortunately we have a tire machine in our shop and replaced it in record time. Now time for the 9 hour drive to one of the funnest places in the country!

Shortly after our lunch break; as we were nearing the entrance to Monument Valley, Eric noticed a trailer tire bouncing on the trailer in front of us. We puller over and sure enough the tire belts had broken. At least we caught it before it took out the fender! A quick change and we were back on the road.

The rest of the trip was uneventful thank goodness and we arrived in Beautiful Moab ready to work!

#4 · (Edited)
ALRIGHT!!! The Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks kicks OFF today!!!

We'll be starting the day with our Trail Restoration project with TreadLightly! on Kane Creek. The Discount Tire Trail Support Trailer will be out with us so if you're in the area and can stop by, come say hello, check out the trailer, and pick up some Rally Tokens!

Yesterday after getting our booth just right we had a little extra time so we decided to tackled Fins and Things to test out some of our new ATV/UTV tires and wheels.

This trail reminds me of a roller coaster as it undulates up and down the rock spires with beautiful majestic scenery at every corner.

We ended our day by prepping 75 lbs of pork for the annual industry party! Camp Chef supplied the smokers and all seasoning for the meat! Tomorrow will be such a blast!

#8 ·
We had 85+ people come to the annual industry party last night. Sponsors included Discount Tire, Rugged Radios and Camp Chef. This was by far the best turn out yet and we thank everyone for coming out!

It was nice to meet up with the friends we have met throughout the years along with making some new ones. As Danny Grimes (Grandpa's Garage) always says "every day you make new friends is a good day."

We played games, ate some unbelievable pulled pork thanks to Camp Chef (75 pounds!) and had an all around great time thanks to the support of all the vendors! Our hats off to everyone for coming; be safe at the event and make some new friends!

BTW if you don't have radios or are in the market for radios, be sure check in with Rugged Radios! Communication adds to the fun as you can rib your friends or help them if they need assistance.

Joey D from UTV Underground came by as well.

#9 ·
To kick off day 2 of the 2017 Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks, we're serving up up a delicious breakfast for all the participants, because who wants to wheel on an empty stomach?! Thank you Rugged Radios and Camp Chef for co-sponsoring this with us!

We hope everyone has a great day of wheeling and don't forget to stop by the Spanish Trail Arena around 7:00 PM tonight for our Ice Cream Social!

#10 ·
Another reminder!

If you're attending this years' Rally, seek out a Discount Tire employee for Rally Tokens! The Rugged Radios & Discount Tire ULTIMATE GIVEAWAY runs through May 29th and Rally Tokens increase the odds of winning!

If you haven't already, be sure to signup for your chance at $3,150.00 in prizes! This is NOT limited to Rally participants only, any one at home may enter!

SIGNUP: Rugged Radios & Discount Tire | ULTIMATE GIVEAWAY!

#11 ·
So this happened during our afternoon ride today to LaSalle Mountains. Unfortunately the snow got too deep to make it safely to our destination, so we turned around. It was a good thing as we had to pull one machine out of a snow bank. Not exactly what we expected but we had a blast!

A hot shower has never felt so good!

#13 ·
We ended day 2 of The Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks with our Ice Cream Social and Raffle night!!!

With freezers filled full of ice cream to help set the mood, it was time to give away thousands of dollars worth of prizes!!! The air was filled with excitement in anticipation for the raffle! There were tons of free shirts, hats, and other awesome goodies thrown out into the packed crowd.

We raffled off several sets of UTV tires and wheels, truck/passenger tires, trailer tires, along with Pelican coolers and cups, and Smitty built products to boot. About half way through our raffle Greg and Steve from Rugged Radios jumped up onto the stage and gave away some of their outstanding Rugged Radios which included a full package and intercom.

By the end of the night there was over $12,000 worth of goods handed out. I would say almost everyone in the crowd went away with something. It was a fitting ending to another fun filled day at the Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks!

Today is Vendor Day so if you're in attendance be sure to stop by the Discount Tire booth and check out some of the hottest UTV tires and wheels available for your side by side!

#14 ·
In Discount Tire fashion, we got up early before the start of vendor day and headed out to Moab Rim to have some fun! Moab Rim is a bit intimidating the first time you do it but is such a blast!

We had a full range of tires to test on the trail from the Tensor Desert Series to the Gladiator ATR. Each and every one of them did a great job! No flats and no issues making it up any of the obstacles. The new Rage One One and Rage Three Five Two also held tough and the bolt on scratch guards kept our wheels guarded from potential trail hazards.

Stay tuned for more wheeling pics! Tomorrow we're sponsoring runs on Poison Spider and Fins-N-Things!

#15 ·
Two days left at the Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks! Today we are running Fins and Things and look forward to wheeling with fellow enthusiasts! Stay tuned for pictures from this ride.

If you're in attendance and haven't met up with any of the Discount Tire crew, be sure you do so you can pick up Rally Tokens! The Rugged Radios and Discount Tire ULTIMATE GIVEAWAY isn't far off and the tokens increase the odds of winning.

For those at home, you can still signup HERE!.

Here are some random photos the crew have taken since arriving in Moab. Good times!

#16 ·
You may have noticed that we didn't update this thread for the last couple of days at the Rally. We had some issues late Friday that threw us off our coverage game! Read on for more details. I'll preference day 4 (and technically the start of 5) by saying It was a strange feeling rolling through town at 1:30 AM in our side by sides...

Friday was a beautiful sunny day at the Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks. We've been looking forward to getting out on our sponsored trail rides to meet up with some of our friends we have made over the years and make some new friends on Fins-N-Things trail. We did this trail earlier in the week as a warm up but this time we will be handing out goodie bags to all the other riders on the trail.

We headed out the back side of the arena past Hells Revenge to a parking lot for our drivers meeting before hitting the trail. We looked forward to putting all of our tires to the test on the steep obstacle's on this trail. All of our tires found plenty of grip on the slick rock including the STI Outback XLT The Outback XTL is more suited for mud or the snow we found earlier in the week but they found good grip none the less.

One of our riders experiences a broken rear radius rod so some of our group stayed to help as the rest of the group headed on through the rocky section of the trail.

At our beautiful lunch spot we gave all the riders a Discount Tire grab bag.

One of the Rugged Radios race car drivers happened to come along with us. He had a couple of Rugged Radios to give away to a couple of the lucky riders. We wanted to help pick winners but our dilemma was we didn't have any raffle tickets to draw out of a hat so we improvised and played a game of rock paper scissors until there were 2 winners. Needless to say the winners were very excited about winning.

After lunch the group headed out to finish the slick rock section of the Fins-N-Things trail. This trail is very similar to Hell's Revenge on this section. With the sunny weather and beautiful scenery everyone had a great time on the trail!

We got back to the arena early in the afternoon and 3 of us decided to run out to Posion Spider to get some video and photos of our tires in action. We were having a blast doing the hard obstacles one after the other when I received a radio call from one of our guys saying he broke. When we got back to him they had figured out his transmission was broken. The solution at this point was to take out all the axles and put the axle stubs back in to hold the wheels on and tow him out. We were able to get all the axles out but one with the tools we had so we called our crew for backup. They were at the Grand Raffle and said they would come as soon as it was over.

I received a message they were on their way after dark. Two of us took off in my Wildcat to meet them at the trail head 4 miles away in the dark. That was a different experience for me. On the way back in it was interesting doing the climbs under the stars. Shortly after arriving they removed the last axle and we were off towing the side by side 4 miles in very rugged terrain. I was amazed the belt held up on the 4 seat RZR all the way back to the trail head. Good thing he put a new belt on earlier that morning.

This was a long day and a short wake up call the next morning but by working together we made it home safe and sound. There is no doubt we will all remember this trail ride forever. Be sure to stay together and never leave anyone behind.

Back to the pictures!

#17 ·
Well, Saturday is a bitter sweet day as it is the last day of the 2017 Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks.

We have had such a great time getting together with so many of the friends we have made over the years along with making some new ones. It is sad to have it all come to an end.

After our long night Friday getting one of our friends out of Poison Spider at 1:30 AM because of a broken transmission, we were all dragging a bit when the alarm went off. Even with a short night we were all anxious to hit the trail. Saturdays sponsored trail was Hell's Revenge which is one of the more famous trails in Moab and offers some of the best scenery.

To start the day off on a fun note, some of our guys dressed up Tom's Commander as a joke. Not sure he liked it but it was funny.

As we approached the parking lot there was a log jam going up the mini lions back. I guess one of the drivers could not handle the small roller coaster and had someone back them down. Good to stop there than at the steep slick rock climbs!

Our first stop was at Hell's Gate. This is a tough steep obstacle that is an elective for those that want to take a dare. It is not for the faint of heart. There were a few takers that put on a good show, but after watching some I think they scared off many that were going to try it. Thankfully everyone made it safely.

After some gorgeous scenery along the roller coaster like slick rock we came to what is called the hot tubs. As I looked in the big hot tub there was a RZR on it's side. I was still wanting to try out my new Gladiator prototype tires, so I deiced to give it a go. As I drove up to the lip there was another RZR on its side at the bottom. I almost backed out but said lets see how these tires stick.

With the guidance of the trail guide I nudged over the lip of the almost straight down wall. To my amazement the tires stuck like glue as I walked down the wall and out the other side. The Gladiator tires I was running are the best I have experienced to date. Look for a full review in the near future.

Next up was the Escalator which was occupied by Jeeps that were stuck half way up and tip over Challenge. Everyone that tried the Challenge had no issues. After handing out our Discount Tire trail bags to everyone we headed off towards the beautiful snow covered LaSalle mountains to the end of the trail. It was now time for us to go pack up all of our displays and get ready for the long ride back to Phoenix on Sunday.

We would like to thank Lanse from Rally on the Rocks and all the participants/vendors for making this the best side by side event in North America again! We look forward to seeing you all again next year! Remember to have fun, be safe and buy all your tires and wheels from Discount Tire.

If you have any questions please call or send us a PM. We are here to help!!

Thank you for following our coverage thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.