Off Roading Forums banner

AMA Racing announces 2008 AMA Team USA for Motocross of Nations

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  writeforus 
#1 ·
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has announced the members of AMA Team USA for the 2008 Motocross of Nations. A trio of Monster Energy Kawasaki riders--James Stewart, Ryan Villopoto and Tim Ferry--will carry the Stars and Stripes as AMA Team USA goes for its 19th Motocross of Nations victory at the Donington Park Circuit in England on September 27-28.

Leading the way will be MX1 entrant James Stewart. The 2007 AMA Supercross Champion and current AMA Motocross Championship points leader returns to Team USA after missing the 2007 event with a knee injury.

"I'm excited to be a part of Team USA," said Stewart. "My main goal this season was to win the motocross championship, and I knew if I could do that I would have a good chance of representing the USA at the Motocross of Nations."

Stewart has recorded perfect scores during the 2008 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship and recently positioned himself fourth on the all-time AMA wins list behind Ricky Carmichael, Jeremy McGrath and Bob Hannah.

After his dominating performance at last years Budds Creek Motocross of Nations, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki's Ryan Villopoto will make his third consecutive appearance as AMA Team USA's MX2 rider. Villopoto has been the overall MX2 champion at the event in both of his appearances and is looking to wrap up his third straight AMA Motocross Lites Championship before closing out his stellar Lites class career at the Motocross of Nations.

"Riding for Team USA is a great experience," said Villopoto. "This will be my last race on a Kawasaki KX250F and I really want to end my Lites career with another great run against the world's best."

Veteran Tim Ferry will return to AMA Team USA as the Open class rider, marking his third appearance at the famous event. Ferry was a member of the 2003 team in Zolder, Belgium where the team finished second overall. His most recent run came with the victorious 2007 effort in which Ferry was the overall Open class champion.

"It is an honor to be a part of this team," said Ferry. "Being on the team with James and Ryan is awesome and I know we are going to do our best to win it all again."

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.