Synthetic or no synthetic - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Performance and Tech Wrench on it and make it faster - Or just get it to start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Synthetic or no synthetic

There are alot of "talking papers" endorsing the virtues of Synthetic for bikes, but I see no real "Dirt Experience" represented in any of them. Amsoil claims to have tested their oil in a YZ450F, and found it acceptable. This is true for some of the other sites I looked at as well.
Can any real Dirt Riders/Racers verify that Syn can be run in a wet plate bike? I want to change my YZ450F over, if possible, to try to decrease the engine temp and would love to know if it will handle it? By all the comments I've read, Yamalube is junk, and regular car oil is not much better.

Let me know what your experience is, and all recommendations provided will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Novice

Synthetic

Most everyone that purchases from us ask similar questions.

From my overhearing and personal experience I think the majority of people are running Honda's Synthetic in all brands. Only thing I ever hear is run it through two oil changes before switching.

Guys I used to ride with all ran synthetic, Kaw450's CRF250R's YZ450f and YZ250F, and one KTM250

Good Luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

SYN vs Dino Left overs..

I swapped to 10-40 Castrol Syntec and have no problems with clutch or any mechanical issues. I went with this after talking to a trusted young gun at the bike shop, who races his 450F. He told me he's been running it since day one and never waited for any break-in. He claims his engine is as clean as new with hardly any wear after a full year of racing. I guess we'll see..

Oh! Anyone know about a snorkle mod for my airbox... LOL I submarined my bike on a trail run and have been working to get the &^%$#@ H2O out of it.. Stories welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode