YZ450 Jetting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Performance and Tech Wrench on it and make it faster - Or just get it to start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

YZ450 Jetting?

Sold the TTR230, jumped up to a YZ 450..SWEET!!!!! Awesome power and not wild or uncontrolable... My issue is that it needs to be jetted a bit differently for a combination of trail and haul ass... but I haven't seen any notes on doing a mod to it? Anyone out there done some jet mods? It comes with two jet spares... one richer, one leaner, but I want to do the Pilot and Main together, if I do it at all. I have the manual and have reviewed the charts, but I want to know what works...

Let's hear about your 450F jetting!

Last edited by 230Man; 09-13-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

The Answer is BOYESEN!

I was spending more time kicking my YZ450F than riding it. Crappy starts, even harder Hot starting... Frustrating! Yeah.. I did the easy tweaks, a quarter turn here, a total reset there...but the starting was still not a one- kick affair and the dreaded stall on the trail was worse.. Having to get the guys to wait for me...ARG! So.. I read the stories and bought a Boyesen QuickStart 3. Ya it cost a bit, but I woulda paid a Grand for an electric starter..LOL
I bought it, and slapped it on... well there is some work is involved, like all the plastic, seat, tank, subframe and engine upper mounts OUT.. to get the F*&^%ing Carb out. Once out the install is pretty straight forward. Just READ THE INFO... and highlight the small details... I was going fast, trying to get it done and missed a small 2mm allen plug that goes in the bowl, and didnt see it until I was all back together!Take it apart again Stupid! Good training! LOL
Once it was on and the settings made, it fired first kick without the choke! Ran it around the house until hot, shut it off and got first kick starts everytime. Strapped on my gear and took it out for a 45 min hot-ass and found a new girl between my legs. I let it rock and she stood up in 5th and really got my heart pumping. WHOA! That wasnt there before! 4th gear power-slides thru turns with no boggin', instant throttle resonse, no popping, not snorting, NO BOG! no hesitation! Just roll her on.. and hang on. I killed it purposly just to see what hot starts would be like, and she fired right up. I then stalled her, and she lit right up. It's like I put a whole new fuel system on her. I then ran her as hard as I could stand and she's even hotter more responsive with more power, and I've not yet hit throttle limiting!
My Opinion...The QS3 is well worth the $$ and time to strap it on and I recommend it to all who hate the 4-stroke start BS and are looking for a solution. If you are tired of kicking the beast and taking the crap from the guys on the trails or track, get a Boyesen Quick start. The cost will fade from your thoughts, once you get it installed and feel the difference in your ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode