Bleeding the air out of your forks???????/ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Dirtbikes and Off-Road Motorcycles > Dirtbike Lounge

Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2001, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Bleeding the air out of your forks???????/

is there such thing as bleeding the air outta forks on a mx bike? if so how often should it be done?

I RIDE A 00 YZ250!
YES IT IS FAST!
NO YOU CANNOT RIDE IT!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2001, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Bleeding the air out of your forks???????/

I have a'00 YZ250, and yes there is an air bleed screw at the top of the fork tubes. It's the screw off to the side on the cap. I can't seem to find any instructions in my '00 manual, but I recall from my old bikes manual, you loosen that screw, compress the forks to squeeze out any air, then tighten the screw back. Sorry I can't find the actual print. If you can get access to a Clymer manual, it has a detailed procedure on bleeding air out of the fork tubes.

Normally you shouldn't have to do it very often, unless you are changing the springs or the oil in the tubes.

RoosteR
I love the smell of two-stroke in the morning.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2001, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know this isn't my post, but i have a question of the same concern, do you tighten the screw back up with the forkes down, or keep pushing the forks down until the air quits coming out then tighten them up. Thanks Rooster. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just unscrew it! it will go tiss ssst thats it. no need to compress. tighten back up. it when you use your bioke alot and air gets in through the seals and builds up. just like a manual blow off valve. loosen, let air out, retighten. as easy as flapjacks

Old 06-22-2001, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had an RM250 and it said to put the bike on a center stand to get the front tire off the ground, then remove both screws and retighten them. I do the same thing with my WR426, about once a month or when I change elevation to go riding.
Tom

Old 06-22-2001, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the reason i beleive that they tell to raise the front forks off the ground is so the oil doesnt come out. in case they are slightly compressed or your oil level is high

Sponsored Links
Advertisement