88' CR125... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Dirtbikes and Off-Road Motorcycles > Dirtbike Lounge

Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2000, 02:00 PM
Old Hand

AARONR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 88\' CR125...

Ok, i have the chance to buy an '88 CR125. For about $1000-$1200. Is this a good bike to get? i was told that this was the best year that honda made the 125. Is that true? I'm pretty new to this, and would love to get a good bike that will treat me well, (as long as i treat it well, am i right) The guy who owns it now was so maticulus (sp?) with keeping in in good condition, and always took care of it. Let me know if this would be a good idea. Thanks for all the other help and advise aswell.

AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2000, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Kyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 88\' CR125...

Stay away from 125's that are that old!! The 88 way a good bike then but now it's nothing!! And at that price it would have to be in it's orignal crate to be worth it!
MY 2cent's would be to get a XR250 as they run for ever an 87 gas and can be made st.legal! It might cost a little more $$ up front but a 125 will go through pistons and rings, then the air filter get's wet every time you sneazze. Get the 4-stroke

You need a thneed
From Onceler Industrys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In have myself purchased a 87 CR 125 back in 94 for about $800.
Theses bikes were great.. and Mine is running like a charm.
you can't really expect to compete with the newer models ...
but for a beginner it's a great bike.
I own 3 bikes ... a KTM 250, YZ 250, and that CR....
I'm telling you.... It's an oldie but a goody ..... it's much FUN....
Just make sure that the cooling system is fine and you might wanna replace the water pump ($25)....
and try to lower the price to maybe $800 to $700 and that will be a descent deal....

Have fun and Ride Safe

Old 09-10-2000, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope, the best year Honda made 125's was probably 2001, and next year, it will probably be 2002. Doesn't matter though, the rider makes a bike go fast not what size or year they are. If your gonna be racing, try looking a little newer (maintence reasons) but if it's just a play bike, try to lower the price a little and go for it.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Old 09-13-2000, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aaron,

I have an 87 CR 125. And in general it is a MUCH better bike than all of it's peers. If you live up in New England (like myself) or somewhere where people don't ride in the winter.. $1200 for a WELL MAINTAINED 125 is not a bad deal at all. Most people don't realize that in winter climates where we get snow bikes (especially dirt bikes) only get hald to 3/4's of the use that they get in year round riding areas. Yes.. it will still suffer from the standard 125 problems but the 86-88 CR 125's are great bike and are still well respected today. They are also, hands down, the most reliable 125's of their era. You can still get all the performance parts for the 88. As long as you are not doing any hard core competition (IE you are buying it to play or trails or even fun competition) you will be 100% happy with the bike. My CR has proven to be extremly capable and I couldn't be happier with it.

Check the bushings and and bearings.. especially the head bearing. If they are good.. buy it and enjoy!

Old 09-13-2000, 12:52 PM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

even though i am a yamaha man...i will have to agree with sweetjeep...
also...as far as the winter part...he is also again right because just as us here in the midwest...it is either too cold or too snowy to ride the bike all year round...good luck man..

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Old 09-13-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No studs and lake riding?? that's half the fun!! (half the year here too)

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Old 09-14-2000, 10:00 AM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

well yes we do do that...but not enough to tax a bike down that much...my ride will be out of commision starting in 2 weeks...I am tearing it down for a complete paintjob on the frame...motor...and then a bit of motor work...will be ready for spring....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement