best bike for under $500? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Dirtbikes and Off-Road Motorcycles > Dirtbike Lounge

Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2000, 01:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default best bike for under $500?

I ride a street bike, but haven't ridden a dirt bike since I was 10 (14 years ago, 84 YZ-80). I want to get a cheap bike that might last me a summer or two. Obviously I'm not looking for the fastest bike out there, just something fun to ride. I'm 5'7", 165lbs. Seat height seems to be something of a problem. Pride prevents me from using an upside down 5 gallon pail to mount the bike like I did when I was 10.
I'm selling a pair of race seats and a pair of 5 point harnesses to fund the dirt bike purchase, that's why the low price range. The wife is getting bitchy about all the toys stacking up in the garage, and has pretty much put the check book off limits.
Any suggestions would be great. I prefer to get a bike that's at least new enough to have a plastic gas tank. Pretty simple requirement, eh?
If anyone has a bike to sell (or trade for the seats/harnesses) in the appropriate price range, let me know.
Thanks...............Matt

400hp 351w 1984 Mustang (my baby)
300hp 302 1989 Mustang (my wife's baby)
1995 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2000, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: best bike for under $500?

Hmmmm. Nobody has an opinion on a decent bike for $500 or less? Is this a stupid question?

400hp 351w 1984 Mustang (my baby)
300hp 302 1989 Mustang (my wife's baby)
1995 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not so much a stupid question, just that for under 500 bones theres not a whole lot of options. So pretty much anything you can find that runs good is what I recommend.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"In a perfect world, there would be no reason to further succeed"
Old 06-21-2000, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

your best bet would be a four stroke, you can grt an older (late 80's) xr 200 or 250 that will still run good, looks are a whole nother story. four strokes will take multiple beatings without dying. 500 is a liitle low. i would try to sport 700. if you spend 500 and the tires, chain, sprockets are beat your back to 700 anyway. plus plug, filter, oil change, and carb clean. if you do this yourself will cost about 50 bucks. grab a local paper from the convenience store. around here(pa) its called bucksaver, autotrader, autolocater. they have bikes in the back for sale. also look at e-bay and on this sites wanted/for sale ads. you will find one eventually, but eventually could take 6 months. your best bet would be to wait a month, work some o.t. buy the wife some gifts(flowers, dont spend too much, remem its dirtbike money) and maybe she'll let you use the checkbook. good luck

Old 06-21-2000, 01:36 PM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

yzroostin...ya must have played that game a few times???? hahaha i been there too...although that never worked to well for me....glad no wife anymore...just got kids and attorneys now!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Old 06-21-2000, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Beggers can't be choosers, any bike that runs good for under 500 has your name on it. I would suggest the local paper also.

Hey yzroostinya, just notice your from Lansdale, I live in Harleysville. (guess airborn's right about not being able to stay on one topic)

The Duke

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Old 06-22-2000, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i havent signed my life away to a woman yet, im only 21, give me 7 yrs. trying to find one that will go to work while i stay home and ride with the kids. seen alot of my friends dive into a empty pool so i lettin it fill up. good luck with the kids airbourne, keep your banshee and you will live forever.anyhow anyluck on $500 bike yet

Old 06-22-2000, 03:08 PM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

well...thanks yzroostin...however I wouldnt change it...my kids are awesome and I learned things that are unbelievably great for my future life...As far as the banshee...this will be a toy...I will get a newer one for other things when i get done and get my life signed back from my attorney...but ya know ya win some...ya lose some...
so far i am ahead of the game...so i am still happy...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement