Best used dirt bike? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Dirtbikes and Off-Road Motorcycles > Dirtbike Lounge

Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Frank616

Default Best used dirt bike?

I'm looking for a good used trailbike for my daughter (16) and myself (50+) so that we can do some fire roads together while camping in the boonies. I need (probably) a 125cc for her, and a 175-250cc for me. I did a lot of riding in the 70's, but have not been on a bike since the mid 80's, so I'm more than a little out of touch with what is available today. She has yet to be on a motorcycle. My last bike was a 71 Kawasaki Bighorn 350cc single that I finally sold in 1985.

We have a 1 ton pickup with 8' box, but pull a small 5th wheel with us. The two bikes need to fit in the front of the box ahead of the trailer. I realize that I'm not 25 anymore, so I need something light enough to pick up easily if I lay it over, and be able to muscle into the truck.

Inexpensive is the important word here. I don't mind if it is a bit old, but it needs to be available and worth bringing home.

So, where do I begin?

Thanks.

Frank.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 04:10 PM
sans1

Default bikes and camping

Not a lot of help with bike choice, but having a 5th wheel myself (7' bed), I think you'll have a hard time getting 1 bike in the bed when towing. You may be able to get the smaller bike in there. I recently was given a Yamaha 175, which is about right for my 20 year old daughter (5'6" tall), a little on the small side for me (5'10"). It is small light enough I can put it in the truck solo, but it won't fit across the bed without removing the front tire. I just tried it even with the front wheal turned, it won't fit across the bed. My bike overall length is 77" and bed width is 64". I can barely fit 2 bicycles and then they have to be positioned just right to provide needed turning clearance.

You'd spend a little more, but as light as the bikes you are looking for should be (probably under 200lbs each), they make single track racks that are rated to about 500lbs and you could have one installed on the front of the truck for the heavier bike and another on the fifth wheel back end for the lighter bike to bring them along.

Hope this helps.

Sans1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Frank616

sans1:

Good points, all of them. I looked into the length of a 125 (Chinese knockoff) and it is 72" in length with the wheels on. I too had thought about taking the front wheels off. With the front wheels on, however, it is as you say. I might get ONE in the box, but no way will both go in there. We have an 8' box on this 06 GMC, but it is no way wide enough. I put three bicycles in there, and still have room for wood and some other tall items and still leave room for trailer clearance. The pin box on the trailer protrudes beyond the length of the trailer itself, and I mount the hitch in the rear mounting holes (about 6" behind the axle) as the trailer only weighs 4500#.

I had also though about building a rack that sits on the rails of the box behind the cab but ahead of the trailer, allowing both bikes to sit fully crosswise between cab and trailer. This might be more work than I am willing to go to however, as well as the issues of getting them up and down from there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Frank.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 PM
sans1

Default transporting your bikes

The weight of mine is also 195lbs according to the label on the bike, doesn't seem that heavy though.

Good idea putting them up on the rails, one facing each direction, might give you the clearance with the hitch being as far back. Since the bicycles are only a few inches shorter they may be good to experiment with clearance. I just measured the handlebar width, Bicycles about 28" and motorcycle about 31". I would think that if you can mount one motorcycle part way over the cab so the bike is almost right against the back, you could put the other the opposite directions and they'd only protrude about a foot more than 2 bicycles sitting there in a similar manner. This might give you an idea if they'd fit.

As I was typing this, I had another thought, you could use a piece of 'c' channel to go across the bed that is wide enough for the tire width. To prevent crushing the bed rails, you'd probably want to have some sort of standoff that rests on the floor of the bed. Not sure how much weight the side rails alone could handle, would hate to put too much and then end up spending more on body work than on a rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement