KLR 250 camshaft timing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Dirtbikes and Off-Road Motorcycles > Dirtbike Lounge

Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2002, 11:52 PM
jeepfiend

Default KLR 250 camshaft timing

I just picked up a '92 KLR 250, really cheap. There is one catch, the guy I got it from just put a timing chain on. He also cleaned the carb. Needless to say, it would not start when he was done (why it was so cheap). I have been throught the carb, it was a little scarey. The slide needle was not even in the slide, when I pulled the main jet, the needle fell right out of the bottom. of the carb. I got the carb back together, but it still won't start. Compression is right around 120, and the spark is strong. I suspect that he has the cam timing off 180 degrees. It has been a while since I worked on a bike. Here is my question: When the timing marks line up (facing each other) with the piston at TDC, the intake valve is just beginning to open, is this correct. How can I tell if the timing is 180 off? The timing gears are indexed to the cam, so 180 is the only option. With the spark good, the carb clean and getting fuel, and decent compression, is there anything besides timing that could prevent this bike form running? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have also charged the battery, so I know it has enough juice. I even tried to start it with a battery charger hooked to it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 04:20 AM
Old Hand

joshiznuckinfutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: KLR 250 camshaft timing

alright...i may be wrong...but as far as timing 180 degrees off...maybe the electronic is...maybe the firing timing is off 180...but if your reffering to the timing/cam timing, the valve timing dude...if that was the case you wouldn't be able to get a full rotation outta the piston, it'd go THUNK and smack the valve...i messed up on my xr rebuilding it and did that, felt like an idiot, took it back apart n fixed it....u say it has good spark...r u sure the spark is on time dude? and as far as things stopping the bike from running....dude....tons of things could stop it....hell, even check to see if the air filter is clean...even a clogged fitler can stop a bike from running, and tdc the intake valve will just start to crack...im pretty PRETTY sure u can't have that 180 off because a valve would be open as your piston was coming up if that was the case...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2002, 07:32 AM
jeepfiend

Mr. Futz, On many bikes you can be 180 degrees off. You see, the crankshaft goes around twice for every one time the camshafts go around. So by being 180 off, you are only changing the relationship of which valves are open vs. which stroke the engine is on, i.e. exhaust stroke, intake stroke, compression stroke etc. What I don't know, is if the Kawi is a wasted spark ignition system (sparks on all four strokes). If an engine is 180 off essentially the engine blows when it should suck and it is very difficult for proper combustion to occur. It has been a while since I last rebuilt a motorcycle, and I usually disassemble what I reassemble. Unfortunately this is not the case with this particular bike. I can't remember which valves should be opening, and which valves should be closed. Since this particular bike is beginning to open the intake valves at TDC when the timing marks line up, I suspect that the timing is off. I am not sure, thus my question.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When reassembling the bike and installing the cam, the piston should be at TDC on the compression stroke - no valves should be open or opening.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Old Hand

joshiznuckinfutz is an unknown quantity at this point

if he didnt' know that he shouldn't be working on a fourstroke...chubbs dude, how's the 426 treatin ya??? have u rode it lately? came across...say...any bears on the trails?? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The salmon are spawning now so there's more bears around[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but I hear there's a momma bear and two cubs [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]which wouldn't be a good thing to run into.

426 is good but no one to ride with so it gets boring.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Kyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm telling ya get a XR100 and ride with your son [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Old Hand

Brianklx300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve, do they shut your riding area down for the winter? I start my transition leave on 21 Dec and stay on vacation until I actually retire on 1 Mar 03, so..., I'll uhhh, have some free time on my hands if you can put up with riding with a slow guy. Not sure what it's like to get my bike on the island though.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds good Brian. Riding is year round [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement