sd33 diesel engine help, Please!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > Diesel Tech

Diesel Tech Diesel-powered discussions, all makes and models of 4x4's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 PM

International146 is on a distinguished road
Default sd33 diesel engine help, Please!!

Hello all, I bought a 1980 International scout diesel with a sd33 engine, that was sitting outside for about 7 years, neglected. I towed it home, changed oil, sprayed oil in the injector holes for start up, poured diesel in it, and it started right up, but stalled shortly after. The problem that i am having is the engine will not stay running. I use the hand pump to prime fuel pressure and it will run for about 5 mins. When running it blows large amounts of smoke out the blow by tube. I am not familiar with this engine, hoping someone here as been there done that with these engines. Im ready to rip my hair out. Any info will be helpful, and appreciated. This vehicle is bone stock and has 42k original miles on it. Was used as a security vehicle, so it idled most of its lifetime.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

what color is the smoke.

i would supect maybe lack or fuel along with lack or rings sealing.

mechanical pump?
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Kid For This Useful Post:
International146 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 PM

the smoke is white, and thick. Mechanical pump. I bled the injector pump and the starting issue resolved itself. It blows almost as much smoke out the draft tube as the exhaust pipe. Think rings? Cracked exhaust valve, valves?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

4 Wheel Parts is on a distinguished road

If you have exhaust or smoke coming out of the crank vent tube then you are definitely pumping compression into the case. That means its getting past a piston or head gasket into the oil gallery. It could be carbon build up or rust in the rings. You could try running some ATF or marvel mystery oil in the case to loosen it up. To be safe, id pull the motor and pop the head off, after you have secured a new set of head gaskets.

mfinch@4wheelparts.com
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Default smoke coming from oil fill, sd33

I did an engine flush, and read to take the oil fill cap off to test for exhaust coming out. I did and I have exhaust coming out the fill cap. Constant stream of smoke. Im I facing a cracked piston or ring job??
Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd marvel mystery it and also mist water in the intake while its runing. The water turns to steam and helps clean things up.

I wouldn't crack that motor open just yet. I don't know its worth putting money into unless your a international diesel nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement