New Batteries Saved My Ram Cummins 5.9L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > Diesel Tech

Diesel Tech Diesel-powered discussions, all makes and models of 4x4's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

DezertScorpion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Batteries Saved My Ram Cummins 5.9L

Hi All,

Just wanted to share a scare I had recently with my 2006 Dodge Ram Cummins with 5.9l 24V HO.

I've been getting all kinds of Error Codes. Sometimes the truck didn't want to start. Then the lights on the dash and radio would start to flash off/on. I could only start it when the "PARK" was visible on instrument cluster.

When I could get it running, it would start flashing headlights on/off as well as the dash and radio.

These are the Error Codes I was able to get using my Superchips Power Programmer that also doubles as a scanner for troubleshooting:

P2509 - ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent
P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage
U1403 - Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received
U1421 - Implausible Ignition key off time received
C2206 - Vehicle Configuration Mismatch
U0021 - Low Speed CAN Communication Bus (+) Open
U0155 - Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module

It was getting very discouraging. One thing is for sure, it never left me stranded and I like my Cummins that much more now.

After chasing the problem for a few days, I finally got close--it was definitely electrical. I came across some supporting information on different Dodge forums that stated the battery might be bad and causing the ECM (Computer) to act weird. These new trucks will electronics need a good source of 12V and ground to keep them ticking.

I check the batteries (2) and found the negative post on the passenger side didn't look very sturdy. It was an older battery, about 4 years. I checked voltage and they were both over 12.6, still within spec. The other Optima Battery is only 6mo old.

Since I still had my doubts about the old battery with the bad negative terminal, I swapped it out with another one. After tightening and checking all the post, and making sure the ground wires on the fenders and block were secure, the Ram started right up without any more problems.

I've been driving it around town for about 1 week now and I haven't had any issue. I was able to clear all the Error codes using my Superchips Performance Programmer after making the fix.

I'm off on a 800 mile trip this week, so I'm hoping it stays this way.

Wish me luck.

I'll touch base again with my trip to report and how the Ram behaved.

Hope this helps others having similar issues.

Last edited by DezertScorpion; 02-09-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM

HFDstreetmedic is on a distinguished road

Wow!

Yeah it's amazing how dependant these trucks have become on the batteries and electrical system. It's both a blessing and a curse. I've got an early '04 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.9L and love it as well. I'll keep this all in mind, however, I did recently change out my batteries with some Interstates and haven't had any problems, yet. Hope your trip went well!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

4 Wheel Parts is on a distinguished road

Its amazing how dependent the new ECM's are on clean electrical power. Loved my 05 24 valve but it was picky on batteries. It didnt like gel cell batteries. Since then its back to 12 valve with a P pump for me.

mfinch@4wheelparts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement