cummins turbo issue..please help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > Diesel Tech

Diesel Tech Diesel-powered discussions, all makes and models of 4x4's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM

theta is on a distinguished road
Default cummins turbo issue..please help!

Hi, I have an 07 ram 1 ton with the 6.7 cummins. The turbo is squealing like a stuck pig. I'm sure its the bearings going out, does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit available yet or do I have to replace the whole turbo. Everything is stock on the truck as I pull 30k lbs almost every day. No money to upgrade. Thanks!
Theta
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM

rnkburg is on a distinguished road

First of all, how many miles on the truck. If it's a 6.7 it's probably under warranty, they have a 5 yr. 100k mile powertrain on them. You should be able to get that covered. If not go to high tech turbo's website High Tech Turbo and check them out. They can rebuild and they are a reliable company, and do exellent work.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can point you in many directions for the diesels if needed.

Rob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Novice

truckboy is on a distinguished road

The main problem is that semi engines are big,so are the turbos.
Fitting the turbo in a small engine bay will require body work.
Also custom manifolds,exhaust,and few others.
It will be cheaper to buy a complete turbo system to the pick up you want to modify.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 AM

Maxy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the injector pump is failing but you need a diesel mechanic to diagnose.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

DezertScorpion is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
First of all, how many miles on the truck. If it's a 6.7 it's probably under warranty, they have a 5 yr. 100k mile powertrain on them. You should be able to get that covered. If not go to high tech turbo's website High Tech Turbo and check them out. They can rebuild and they are a reliable company, and do exellent work.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can point you in many directions for the diesels if needed.

Rob
I second RNKBURG on the warranty. Try and get it.

If you can't then look for a reputable turbo repair shop.

I had to replace mine on the 5.9l HO Cummins a year ago, but when I contacted Cummins, there was a 4 week back order on a new or re-man turbo. I found a local turbo shop and they had it done in 2 days.

Please let us know what you end up doing. It will help others here in the future when they find a similar problem.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Novice

truckboy is on a distinguished road

I think the most common problem for turbo failure is a lack of lubrication, to avoid this always check your air filter and make sure that it is clean and functioning normally
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

i know this is shot in the dark but ive heard many 6.7s with squealling pullies.

my dads 6.7 has 170k of actual hard towing miles like what you do and still not turbo issues to date.

my 5.9 on the other hand is making power intermitly and well ill live with it since it still run okay for daily driver acasional to rig.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

4 Wheel Parts is on a distinguished road

The 6.7 should be a VGT turbo, variable geometry turbo. Not something I would recommend trying to rebuild at home. If it is out of warranty your best bet is a local shop. Removal and install you can do at home with some basic tools. Getting the oil return tube back in and seated is the hardest part. If the exhaust side oil seal goes it will pump your oil out your exhaust, not a good plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement