ideas for my jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Racing and Competition > Desert Racing

Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default ideas for my jeep

I have been toying with the idea of what to do with my 76, CJ-7 jeep as far as purpose goes, mud, rocks. It is a daily driver and I use it for a lot of different things. I do not like to mud all too much, messy and destrucctive. But I was looking for a setup that would benefit my onroad ride as well as off-road ride. I was looking at some pictures of race trucks and thought that there might be some benefit to going with that style of off-road setup. I want a suspension that I can build as money permits. I liked that way that those trucks flew over the hills and just squated on impact, never slowing down. I was just wondering if ya'll had any suggestions as to mods I might want to perform on the jeep to help it ride,fly better. Some of the present mods are 33' tires/400hp.350/2.5"susp,1.25"shackle lift(I know I will get rid of the shackle lift for a body lift)/ five point harnes'/fixing to get sway bar discos/ full cage. I know that you don't build one of these trucks over night but I am just looking for input. ie. What kind of shock for a multipurpose daily driver, RS9000's?, and are there any suggestions ya'll have for on road manners?
THANX

Lee R. Byrd
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2000, 08:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sycho15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ideas for my jeep

Shackle-reversal! And make sure your tires are set to the right air pressure. For a typical CJ-7 that can be 25-30lbs. With such a short-wheelbase, little Jeeps tend to get squirelly on washboard roads and such. Also you will have to address balancing the vehichle. The only way I can keep my YJ from landing on the shackles is to have a full tank of gas and two friends in the back!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2000, 12:52 PM
Pooh-Bah

J.R. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ideas for my jeep

With the racing setups, you're best bet is shocks, shocks and shocks... A good set of correctly valved, reservoir, Bilsteins, Fox, Sway-A-Way or King would do wonders.

Anything custom you do is going to co$t you some $$$. But it sounds like you already know that, and it's good you're aware of it!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.