I needs me a sand rail - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Racing and Competition > Desert Racing

Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2001, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default I needs me a sand rail

Well I've decided I wanna build myself a sand rail. I never ridden in one but I want one, plus, I have nothing better to do. First off, whats a good place that makes frames? I'd like to build my own but I don't trust myself welding and I'm kinda busy. Second, what the hell do you use as a rear end (they're independent right?)? I was thinking maybe a ford 9''. Also what type of engine should I use? I have either the choice of a chevy 454 or a Olds 455 (have both sitting in the garage. If there is anything I'm not thinking of please tell me I'm a stupid engineering student.

Thanks
Ryan

The only Good Hippie is a Dead Hippie!
"Peace through Vandalism"
Ryan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2001, 01:56 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

w3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORCw3tadmin has a brilliant future at ORC
Default Re: I needs me a sand rail

Hmmm..

You're starting from scratch. I suggest that you visit the dunes in your area and snap pictues of the various "rail type" vehlles for ideas. This will get you started on building what works best for your area.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-2001, 08:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tomklipp is an unknown quantity at this point

those are some big heavy engines if you want to build a rail! most rails have aircooled vw engines in them. do you just want to drag with it? if you want to play in the desert with it i think those engines will be waaaaay to heavy. check out the sand rail/dune buggy section here for some ideas. i have a chenowth frame myself. another problem with a large v-8 is if you want to build a typical sand rain they are rear or mid engine, you'll have to find a trans axle to hold that much torque, that's not easy or cheap.

Tom Klippenstein
life is short, drink good beer.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2001, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new Z06 Corvettes have a trans-axle, try and get ahold of one of them assemblies[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]and have had IRS for a long time.

89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Friends dont let friends drive Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2001, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want it for playing real fast around in the dunes. I never thought I'd here of an engine being too BIG.

Ryan
Old 02-15-2001, 02:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

rails generally weigh around 1000 pounds. a big block is over half that! you want to go fast? don't think a vw engine could be enough take look here http://www.deepsand.net

Tom Klippenstein
Old 02-15-2001, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So I'm guessing massive amounts of tourqe arn't needed in a rail, but a good amout of horsepower is.

Ryan
Old 02-15-2001, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you run 200 hp you'll be more than happy. remember it's the whole power to weight ratio thing. that big block came out of a car that weighed 4 times as much! i have a desert buggy that puts out maybe 150 hp and it is pretty fast, and it weighs more then your usual sand rail, but then again you can't drive a sand rail on a motocross track![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tom Klippenstein
Old 02-15-2001, 11:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

post your question in the sand rail bbs here further down on the page. you'll get more responses.

Tom Klippenstein
Old 04-04-2001, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would check out www.extremebuggies.com

Offroad.com is good, but we provide more tech for buggies.

-------------------------------------
Webmaster
www.extremebuggies.com
"The ONLY place for sand sports!"
-------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.