vBulletin - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: vBulletin

Take your time designing the layout.

Make it simple.

The worst thing (besides popups) on that board is the new/old/read/unread/new post icons at the begining of a thread.
I dunno about everyone else, but looking at 3 icons trying to figure out what's what and what i've already read is confusing.

Also, is there a way to port this board over to the other one? There's so much stuff archived on here that is so usefull, it would be a shame to loose it all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 02:41 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

We won't move unless we can port the message base over.

Cheers

post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 02:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Have you reached a dead end as far as this board goes ? No way you can speed it up ? I`ll go against the grain and say I like this board system better than POR . Just seems like it`s less cluttered looking .Over there it seems inundated with little fingers tossing you the bird and and tons of blinking smiley faces . A lot going on there just for exchanging messages with each other . At POR , when you go through a topic , there doesnt seem to be a reply button on each reply . If you want to direct your reply to a particular person , just the one button on the bottom or top . If you switch over , what happens to our posting status( Veteran , Poo-Bah etc..) ? Thanks !!

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 03:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i also like the "reply" button to each person.. granted i dont view it.. but i like it to post with.. since then it is at the bottom and i can refference it as i type..
i also think the por board is cluttered looking.. too much crap on it.. this one is simple.. but it does need to speed up a bit..
i dont want to loose our "moonguys".. (smiley faces).. and have 18 godzillion others...
just K.I.S.S. and ill be happy.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Pooh-Bah

I'm also gonna have to throw in my thoughts. I like the way this is set up. The colours are nice and neutral, easy on the eyes for those of us who spend a lot of time here. Everywhere else it seems so cluttered and contrasting, and... I don't know, maybe Im afraid of change but I definately like this set up.

post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

I like it - as long as you can do it in decent colors, the pirate4x4 board is impossible to read with that color scheme.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Not real wild about it, especially the colors and layout. The layout of this bbs is what drew me to it. I used to do the jeep mail list a few years ago, and this BBS is definitely much better when it comes to viewing messages.

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 11:29 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I was just at thier website and you can set it up to reply to each message in the thread and they have a lot of different ways you can make it look . In the example section , I liked the way the HARDCORE board was set up . Combine that with the feature activated in the HOCKEY board enabling us to reply to individual posts within a thread and I would say go for it . I didnt realize it was that versatile . So I change my NAY to a YA . LetZ do it ! As long as we can keep the equivalentof our "handles" . Took me long enough to get to "Veteran" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I visit both boards. I like this version a lot more. I like being able to tailor how the pages look (fonts, number of posts per page, etc)

post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Old Hand

I really like the look a feel of the software on this BBS. I understand the colors on the pirate board could be changed, but the other feautures are annoying. The only thing that has ever been problematic over hear is speed.
Here is what I've noticed concerning speed on this board:
I open up the SWB section. I then look at the threads and pop open the ones that interest me new windows. When somebody puts the picture in the thread, I have to download that picture. As that picture is downloading, it is eating up the bandwidth from ISP. This slows down the opening of the other windows. If I reply to a thread, it may take a while for the thread to update, but what do I care? I've already read and posted to the thread, I just go onto the next thread.
I would consider setting the bbs to allow links to pictures in threads. You could still upload the pictures to the bbs, but they would not be eating up the bandwidth of the bbs users unless they click on the link. Also, everytime a picture is included in a thread, and that thread is opened, your server has to send it out, which I would think would increase the load on ORC's servers. Slowing down the bbs for everything else.
With all that said, I still read the bbs forums. I quit reading the ORC main pages a long time ago. The main pages had been a great read, but I couldn't stand the time it takes to load them. ORC is going to have to make a change. If you change to the vbulletin software, pick a better background color than the Pirate board. Either way, I'll stick to the BBS sections, there to many good people to leave the place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode