Polaris front drive won't engage on one side - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Polaris front drive won\'t engage on one side

I have a '94 Polaris 400L. The left front hub won't engage. I pulled the hub apart to look for obvious mechanical problems, but it looks fine. I think it may be electrical. Is there anything I can do to debug this? How do you test the actuator (or whatever you call the thing that slides on the hub)? How much might a new one cost if it is bad?

Thanks in advance

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2001, 09:29 PM
adam728

Default Re: Polaris front drive won\'t engage on one side

If everything looks good and is not broken then it is the actuator. I'll get a price tomorrow at work...

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2001, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. How many volts does the system work on? 12? I was thinking about checking for power at the hub. What do ya think?

Old 11-30-2001, 06:49 PM
adam728

Magnetic Coil
Part # 4170003
$26.75

If nothing inside is shattered apart or worn to [censored] it is this.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Old 12-01-2001, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

pontiac58 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i remember right you can test the coil by getting a ohms reading. I dont have my manual home but i will be at my shop tomorrow working on some snomobiles so i will look tomorrow. But most likely that is the problem.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if the hubs are the same kind of design as the newer ones(like mine, 2001 SP 500) then you might need to adjust the outer seal surface. It will sometimes move in or out alittle. The spec is for like .010" , and if its off, that tire wont lock in. Mine was at like .040" and it did not work..

Old 12-12-2001, 06:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a washer on the very back of the hub that engages into the hilliard clutch, If that is worped it will not work. Its a easy fix. I am almost sure thats your problem.

Old 12-15-2001, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies. Continuity testing lead me to a broken wire. I like when they are easy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement