96 POLARIS 425 MAGNUM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2001, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 96 POLARIS 425 MAGNUM

Looking for some help. Just entering the market to buy my 1st ATV and am looking at a buying a used one. It seems I could almost buy a new one for most of the used ones people want about 3/4 of what they are new and some of them are 10yrs old. Right now I'm looking at a 96 POLARIS 425 MAGNUM 4x4, 600 miles for $3500. Anyone out there that can give me an insight on this one or others and how much I should be looking at to pay for a decent machine where I won't be getting ripped off? Thanks Eric

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2001, 06:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

pontiac58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 96 POLARIS 425 MAGNUM

You are going to hear all kinds of polaris sucks relpys so just ingore them. The biggest problem with the 96's that i can remember were the speed limiters were going bad. Not a big deal once they were replaced. I think i may have saw it on here that if you dont keep the lifters adjusted right you can eat the cam up easily. Things to look for. First off make sure it is clean. If there is mud in places were a hose couldnt get to it may have be put away wet one too many times. Also look to make sure all the grease fittings have been greased regularly. A quick way to check for grease is check the tierods for excessive play. Look at the oil in the motor and tranny to make sure it has been changed. The tranny isnt that big of a deal but if it is nasty it will need to be changed. If you dont do the service yourself and have a dealer do it. That could get pricey. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info PONTIAC. If you were to recommend an ATV which make would you go with - POLARIS, HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI, YAMAHA? Would you steer away from any of them? Thanks again

Old 11-13-2001, 07:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I rode hondas growing up, and beat them to death but i was always wrenching on them, then i got the head tech job at the local polaris dealer and started riding them. Needless to say i have a 96 explorer 300 with a plow on it now. I really dont ride anymore at all. Well unless you count towing a trailer around the yard. When i was at the dealer i rode the crap out of the 300, and my scrambler demo, we would put those quads in mud and water up to the bottom of the seat without any problems. The jap bikes couldnt do it. They were just too low. Now with the grizzley and such out they raised them and they should be fine for that kind of stuff. The biggest thing with the polaris is service. After a good ride take it home clean it and grease it. It will only take you an hour. Well worth it if you dont want it to let you down. All of the manufactors make good quads. What it all comes down to is what you want to do with them and how you take care of them. If you want to go fast in a pit then buy a two wheel drive jap bike. If you want to cruise through the trails and hit some mud then the 4wds will be your tickets. Also remeber that most jab 4wds arent really 4wd so you end up with 3 wheel drive, dont forget that some quads are full time 4wd and that sucks. In my opionin the polaris still has the top seat over the others. But i have been out of the dealer for some time so there could be a better bike out there now. One more thing. If you notice the jap bikes are looking more and more like polaris every year and also they started using the clutching systems a few years back.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow Pontiac - you are a wealth of knowledge. You are actually in Pontiac, MI are you? Too bad I don't live next to you, you could show me exactly how to do all the maintenance . I'm primarily looking for a machine for hunting and fishing - so I guess I need to be leaning to a 4WD - I was thinking I'd be able to just get by with a 2WD but maybe not. The info you've been giving me is Great - thankyou again. Eric

Old 11-13-2001, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If your not going to be crossing any deep mud the two wheel drive may be enough. But i would rather have the four wheel drive just incase. That is twice in the same day i was ask if i was from pontiac MI. Actually i live in south jersey. The pontiac 58 came from my dads first car that we have restored. Thanks for the compliment i normally get trashed on this board from the jap guys. I really dont get it.

Old 11-14-2001, 06:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 96 425 magmun and love it, I have used it for all types of riding and it is a great alll around machine. Good luck with whatever you get.

Old 11-14-2001, 12:54 PM
GTA

OK here comes the other Polaris lover: I've had my Sportsman for about a year now. I get the grease gun after it once a month. never had a single problem. Pontiac and I tend to agree on most everything. The jap guys are always dogging on the Polaris so expect to hear it.
I would highly reccommend buying a 4wd. "You only pay for it once" but you get the benefit all the time. Mine has only been engaged about two hours out of the 75 hours driven, yet I wouln't dream of not having the option. As stated before, beware the Jap 4x4s being limited slip. My buddy's Kaw is always getting hung up on rough terrain because the wheel in the air is the one pulling. The high end bikes are now offering the selectable 4x4 and 4x4 lock. Isn't it amazing how Polaris has done this for years?

Here in Tulsa, I'm always seeing 98-up Sportsmans 400 & 500s for sale between 3800-5000. Shop around before you buy. theres nothing like spending the dough then seeing one cheaper the next week.

Gearheads do it greasy!
Old 11-14-2001, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks GTA and Duane - I was getting a little antsy on buying one but you are right - I need to shop around as there has to be a decent deal out there somewhere.
Pontia - gorgous car - I'll take it .

Old 11-15-2001, 07:39 AM
adam728

THose 425 motors will live forever when taken care of, and 600 miles on a 96 isn't crap! We get 2001's in the shop with over 1000 on a nearly daily basis.

One thing I will say is that is a bit expensive. You should be able to pick up a 98 for that amount of dough.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement