how to flush out banshee crankcase? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default how to flush out banshee crankcase?

i got just a little bit of sand in the motor, having the top end rebuilt
and bored out. how can i get (if there is any) sand out of the crankcase?
also, shat should i use kerosene, or deisel? thanks!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2000, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: how to flush out banshee crankcase?

I also have the same question..i jsut wanna flsuh it out because there may be some gasket material in there and some dirt...thanks

sorry i didnt help

<font color=blue> "Loofer" </font color=blue>
<font color=red>'88 Banshee</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2000, 08:12 AM
Pete

I would use something light, like kerosene, to cut the oil and give the sand nothing to stick to. Then stick the nozzle of the garden hose in there and flush it as best you can. Then another round or two of kero to displace the water, and some 2 stroke oil on each bearing before assembly.
I don't think a brief water bath will hurt a thing, and you're gonna need something under pressure to get any debris out of the case. Kero by itself isn't gonna float sand out.
Pete

Old 06-04-2000, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how would you do this with the motor still in the bike?

Old 06-05-2000, 12:30 PM
Pete

Take it out. It's a quick, easy job and it makes it so much easier to work on. Plus, less chance of crud getting knocked off the frame and ending up in the case.

Old 06-05-2000, 12:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

I would venture to say if you look at seafoam...it might do what you are asking. To do a flush it has detergents in it that will help in eliminating garbage...but to remove sand...hmmm without a hard flush...like with a water hose....it is a hard one to say. I have in the past run seafoam in mine...started it for a few moments....drained...then flushed with water....then rand about 2 quarts of oil THROUGH it...then filled it...ran it for about 5 minutes...then drained and filled again. The reason for the excesssive oil use it to eliminate the water. I never had problems...but that is just my $.02

Also...if you do not like that idea..then pull the motor and split...but the only issue with that is if you pull it might as well go through it too...and that to me is alot of jing that i dont have....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away! Long Live the ORV!!!
Old 06-05-2000, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks airborn. IS there a drain plug? i looked but didnt really see one.
i dont think much sand made it past the carbs and into the cylinders. ide really hate to pull the whole motor out but im not one to do things half
assed. thanks for the info!!

Old 06-06-2000, 12:13 PM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

The drain plug is at the bottom almost in the center...becareful not to remove the bolt for the support in place of the actual drain plug... but good luck my friend....and I hope all is well....let me know how it goes!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away! Long Live the ORV!!!
Old 06-06-2000, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh cool, there is a drain bolt!! i didnt see one but i will look again.
I will keep you posted, just waiting for the machine shop to finish boring
and porting.

Old 06-07-2000, 10:44 PM
Pete

I believe the drain plug you refer to is actually the gear oil drain. If there IS a way to drain the crankcase, there would have to be two plugs, one for each side. In my experience, very few engines have drains for the crankcase. Polaris snowmobile engines (Fuji) have drains, but my 91 Banshee does not.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.