2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2000, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke

I was just wondering why everybody says that a 2-stroke requires more maintenance than a 4-stroke. I admit i'm new to this whole 2-stroke 4-stroke thing but a friend of mine has had his polaris 2-stroke for over 5 years and hasn't done anything but add oil when it was needed and change the air filter once or twice a year. With the 4-stroke you have to change the oil and filter at least twice a year so I don't see a big difference in the two. Please excuse my ignorance but like I said, i'm new to this. Thanks for any replies.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke

I really appreciate every one's comments. This site is a great help. It seems that if you don't own or mention a banshee, you get no reply.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2000, 10:12 PM
cleartoy

I think its open to interpretation. 2 strokes need to be rebuilt more often than 4 strokes. That is theoretical, and is subject to being used under similar conditions.

Jetting is way more important on 2 strokes. They do not have as much leeway as 4 strokes. Its important to keep the air filter clean, as a cloged one, can richen the mix.

One could say that more 4 strokes require MORE preventative maintainence, in that they have engine oil, and an oil filter to be changed, valves to clearance, and timing chains, to keep the slack out.

Most 2 strokes have radiators, water pumps and hoses that wear out. Most 4 strokes do not.

Wow, maybe 4 strokes require more maintenece less of the time, and 2 strokes require less maintancece alot more of the time.

-cleartoy

Old 05-20-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cleartoy is on the the ball, 2 strokes require mixed oil and gas if you dont have an injection model which some people find annoying, but a Ratio-Rite really makes things easier and with that I dont see what all the fuss is about, you have to change the oil more in four strokes, since the top end and bottom end of the motor share the oil and not like with a 2 stroke whereas it just has oil in the trans and clutch area, cooling systems can and will vary depending on manufactor and application/intended use of the machine. If you going towards a polaris, disregard all the crap I said about manual transmissions and stuff most jap machines have. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] -Mike

74' DT100 78' IT175 84' ATC250R 85' K20 88' CR250R
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2000, 12:20 PM
Pooh-Bah

AirBornBanshee is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, As far as what was stated about changing oil more often in a 4 then a 2, I would disagree. I mean if you want a 2 stroke to last a long time...and the clutch for that matter, you will WANT to change that oil very often. I ride my banshee about 150 miles a weekend and I change my oil before every weekend. It is a bit more spendy this way, but I know that it will always be fresh and tight. Also as far as the air filter, 2 stroke air filters should be cleaned every to every other ride, especially in dirt or sand. Again, I clean mine after a weekend. The 4 strokers we have, we do little to nothing on them for maintenance, heck the 4 stroke just keeps going and going and as far as rebuilds, I havent had to do a 4 stroker in a while whereas the 2 strokers its usually every couple years....especially the way we ride up here. We will start at 8 in the morning and ride continuously till nite fall....crash and get up and do it again. 150 miles a weekend is alot of miles.....We ride with the thing revvin high for the trails and whoops....anyway...that is my $.02 on this issue....

AirBorn!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement