Banshee jetting at altitudes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-1999, 10:44 PM
cleartoy

Default Banshee jetting at altitudes

GOing on a trip to AZ for a week. I will start at low altitudes, then progress to some 3000ft levels, and up to 6500ft at Coral Pink Sand Dunes.

Just to get an idea, i have the cylinders ported, am running .020" Wiseco pistons, milled head with 22cc chambers, FMF Fatty pipes, clamp on KN filters(no air box). AT sea level, it runs excellent with 380 mains, and 32.5 pilots.

I would basically like to get pointed in the right direction. It was so easy to jet the 4 stroke i had before this. It seems like any little change and you have to jet SEVERAL sizes at a time.

Thanks.

-cleartoy

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-1999, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Banshee jetting at altitudes

I found this to be a helpfull place to go for the jetting questions.
Hope it helps!
Don.
http://www.blastercentral.com/NoFram...ting_101.shtml

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-1999, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey bro what i did when i went south was jetted down 2 sizes i live at 3000ft so i was running 158 mains and went up to a 160 so if u r running 380 then go up a couple of sizes most size changes r in increments of 5 so bring your 380's and then try a 385-390 man that seems so rich too me. stock up here i was running a 260-280 with the mikunis but i think rule of thumb is 2 sizes

later bud

Old 12-30-1999, 09:54 PM
cleartoy

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. One thing to note however, is that when going UP in elevation, it is necessary to go Down in main jet size for a leaner mixture.

Running with no lid and or in my case, clamp on KNs is about a 40 jet size differenece then a lidded filter system.

Your increments in your suggestion sound about right though. I called Alba and talked to Quinton, and he told me that i should go 1-2 sizes down on the mains(379-378). I went to the dealer, and the closest i could get were 370s. I got em, and ill see how it works before and after the jet changes. I was also told that even with the right jetting, it will not run right at 6500ft due to low compression.

Likewise, you running under a 300 jet is astounding, unless you have a lid on your air box and stock pipes! However, i remember you saying something about running at altitude, and you run alcohol instead of gas. Is that right?

Thanks man!

-cleartoy

Old 12-31-1999, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

no prob big gut i wish i was running alcohol but im running 108 octane gas i have a buddy that makes wine and he is going to make some alcohol for us but i think i will try to mix it half an half when u take off to az and u get to the high elevation u might be able to squeek a little more by adjusting the needle
it may help thank for the input as well bud no my bike is not near as stock as it was that is what i had with just the pipes and airbow mods i have gone to keihin carbs now and they setup way different then the stock ones i always thought that the higher u go up the less air there is and the closer u go down the more air there is

Have a great trip wish i wuz there Chris

Old 01-01-2000, 11:04 AM
cleartoy

Hey Chris, i completely forgot that you have aftermarket carbs. My bad memory. Im still running the stock ones.

You are right.....the higher in elevation you are, the less air there is. And vice versa. At that point, with less air, you have an excess of gas(fuel mix). So to compensate, you need to run a smaller jet, to restrict the amount of fuel, to (hopefully) arrive at the correct air\fuel mix.

Happy New Year!
-cleartoy

Old 01-02-2000, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

according to the people ive talked to on my 250 quad, for every 1200 to 1500 feet you should jump 1 step of jet.on mine the sea level main is a 230. but in kansas where i live about 2600 ft. the jet is a 210, they step in 10. but then i added the clamp on uni filter and had to go back to the 230 to keep my egt(exaust gas temp) under 1150 at wide open throttle. the egt is the best way to find exactly what you need. i used to weld a fittin on my pipe within 6 inches of the head but that got to be a pain. so now i just drill a 1/8 in hole in the pipe and insert my electronic probe and go for a ride hit min\max and come back
to get readings.then change jetting if needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement