1986 Honda Fourtrax 350 problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 AM
scotty66

Default 1986 Honda Fourtrax 350 problems

Hi All !

This is my first post. I just bought a 1986 FourTrax in really good shape, from my wife's uncle. There are a couple of problems with it that may be major, but that doesn't freak me out considering the price I paid for it. They are as follows.

1.There is a ticking or knocking noise coming from the engine. He has had the valve's adjusted , but it came back.

2. The first thing I did when I got it home, I checked the oil. It was very low and appeared to be milky. I could smell an odour of gas on the dipstick. Thinking the knock was obviously related to low oil, I filled the crankcase, but the knock did not go away. What would be the cause of this ? In my younger days I drove a 250 Big Red, serviced it regularly (you couldn't kill that engine if you wanted to), and never ran into milky looking oil.

Please Help !

Thanks
Scotty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Journeyman

Jimmy454JRC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1986 Honda Fourtrax 350 problems

Milky oil is not to good, but depending on how many start and stop rides he has done engines seem have a tendency to build up condensation inside when the motors are just run for a few minutes and then shut off.

But, the knocking. When he adjusted the valves did the sound go away and then come back or did it stay constant?

If it went away then came back, it is because the valves were not adjusted enough from the beginning. I beleive Those motors have the cam seat built into the head and without proper maintenance they will oblong the seat and the actual head will need to be replaced if you want to actually get rid of the valve clatter.

good luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement