Fastest, Strongest, and most reliable ATV w/ Rev? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2003, 07:26 PM
asellers98

Default Fastest, Strongest, and most reliable ATV w/ Rev?

I am wondering if someone would answer a beginner's question of which of this years ATVs is the fastest, strongest, and most hassle free rides if money matters not.

I saw the Yamaha Raptor at the store the otherday, and I just read about the Kawasaki KFX 700 VForce. These two machines seem pretty like what I want, but I want some honest opinions from people other than the sales team.

I have no luck when it comes to working on engines, so my choice of an ATV might be a nightmare waiting to happen.

Please recommend the best choice for someone who has never riden before, and would like to get the best he can from the start. Stock parts, no modifieds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 06:40 PM
ipkyss

Default Re: Fastest, Strongest, and most reliable ATV w/ Rev?

well, i would not put reverse as a HUGE part of your buy. And if you have never rode before, i don't know if you should jump on the raptor. I would say the raptor is your best bet for a all around fast bike. The yfz 450 is faster, but yet again i would not recomend it to a beginner. My friend just bought a yfz 450 and is already buyin new plastics. Its his first fourwheeler. To each his own i guess.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Addict

Spraguepsycho1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a beginner would be more comfortable on the KFX 700. The things I would be looking at if I was a beginner are the fact that it is an automatic transmission quad, so you don't have to always worry about being in the right gear while riding, so you can spend more time learning about controlling the quad on hills and paying more attention to where you're going. Also the KFX 700 isn't as prone to wheelies as the Raptor, which is a big plus when trying to learn how to climb steep hills. ANother thing to consider is the 700 has more ground clearance in the rear because of the shaft drive, and shaft drive means not having to worry about adjusting, cleaning, lubing, or replacing a chain and sprockets as part of regular maintenance. As for which is faster stock, I've personally watched several showroom stock KFX700's race stock Raptors and win, and race Raptors that had full exhaust systems, air filters etc in the dunes and keep up fine.
If the new rider wanted a sportquad with reverse and a manual transmission, I would highly recommend looking at the Z400 or one of it's clones, instead of the Raptor, simply because I don't feel a manual trans bigbore quad would be a good choice for a beginner, too much power and too easy to get in over your head while learning. The Z400 has more than enough power for most beginners stock, and can be modified to run almost as fast as any other 4 stroke quad out, or traded in on a bigger quad later after the rider gains enough experience to handle it. Another plus to the Z400 for somebody new to atv's is the fact that it's less expensive, why spend more money for your first quad than you absolutely have to, when you don't even know if you're going to enjoy riding quads.
I know people that went out and bought expensive first quads, only to decide they didn't like them and lost money when they traded it in on a dirt bike that they felt more comfortable on the trails with. Either way it's your money and ultimately your choice, so think hard about what you want to do and what features are real world important to you. This is my honest opinion about this, and I would tell anybody in my family the same thing, even though I am a Honda rider and ride a 250R, I would still recommend the Z400 or KFX 700 to new riders looking for reverse, if reverse didn't matter, the 400ex would also be at the top of my list for a new rider. Good Luck. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 05:31 PM
asellers98

Thanks, I believe you have a great points. I will go with the KFX 700 based on the facts that I really hate standards in cars, so adding that to an atv probably would not change things much. The maintenance issue, the ground clearance, and less headaches from falling off from wheelies what can I say, I am sold, hehe.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Pooh-Bah

300EXrider is an unknown quantity at this point

if you dont like clutch or shifting, but still want to haul ass and pass all your buddies, go for the KFX, its even shaft driven, I am sure it is low maitnence but I donthave any expirence with one [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

YoungGun is an unknown quantity at this point

I have ridden a 700, and a raptor, and would prefer the Raptor.But I have been riding for 8 years. I think the 700 would be better at first, but if you are planning on keeping it for a while I would go for the Raptor and start riding on the dunes where it's a little more forgiving if you fall off. You will learn quickly how to ride it, and I think more satisfied with it. If there is jumping is in your future, the raptor is definatly way better for that. But if you plan on doing woods stuff(GNCC or WORCS type riding)go for the 700.
I would think that if you are a beginner that you really shouldnt jump onto something w/ 660 or 700 cc's.Go for one of the 400's(Suzuki,Kaw.,Arctic Cat)It is plenty fast, and well suited for a beginner.If you get better and want to start racing, it is gonna be great for that with a bit of moding.
I know it says that Project Z400 is gonna be for cross country, it still is going to be, but now we are going to race hopefully the enitre 2004 BITD Series on it. We think it is going to turn out to be more reliable than the Raptor was.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

300EXrider is an unknown quantity at this point

hes got a great point, I would say sit your ass down on a nice clutch quad, stop your whining, learn how to ride it, and in very little time you will be a great rider, so go for it, its more fun to have a challenge than only moving your thumb when on a quad [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement