Can you bargain on price with atv dealers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > ATVs, Quads and Four-Wheelers > ATV Lounge

ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2002, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Can you bargain on price with atv dealers?

I have been looking to buy a new or used 400ex or Raptor. My question is this: Can you deal on price with an atv dealer the same way you could with a new car dealer? My local dealer has new 400ex's for $5300 right now (includes factory rebates). Is it feasible to offer like $4800 or $5000 and expect the dealer to come down some? Also, if the dealer will come down - what is about the best price that a person could reasonably expect to pay for a new 400ex or Raptor? When I go to buy a new pick-up (about every 3 years), I know what my vehicle is worth on trade and what the invoice price for the new truck I want is. I call about 10 banks for trade value on my truck and use the internet for invoice prices on the new truck. I usually pay pretty close to invoice on the new truck this way. Has anyone ever done this with an atv dealer? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks, Teegunn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2002, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Can you bargain on price with atv dealers?

you can definately haggle prices with an atv dealer the same as you would a car.
and offering $5000 for a new 400ex would be definatley within reason.
around here you can buy brand new out the door 400ex for $5150.that includes frieght and setup.but i always buy out of state so that i don't have to pay tax in the vehicle ,unless i get it registered in my own state.then i have to pay my state tax on it.
work the quad dealer the same as you would your car dealer.and don't let them think you don't know anything about quads.and don't let them over charge you on frieght and setup charges.
good luck on your purchase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-18-2002, 06:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good luck making an offer on sport bikes, especially the 400EX or the Raptor. I don't know how they sell in Nebraska, but they can't keep them on the floor in Florida. You might be able to negotiate for the "new" 2000 Tecate sitting on my local dealer's floor.

I took a trip to South Carolina and saved myself around $500 in setup and sales tax. If you have a trade, that may be another issue. If you buy one of the new 5 valve four strokes, try to negotiate a free "initial servicing" (the first valve adjustment). That could save you 2 hours of service charges.

There seems to be some kind of code throughout the dealerships that they won't budge on the MSRP. Maybe it's part of the franchising agreement with the manufacturers. I know Harley Davidson does this to their dealerships. The clue is in the fact that you cannot purchase an ATV or a Harley new over the internet.

The trader-online has a ton of used 400's and Raptors. I've seen a barely used (yeah right) 2002 Raptor two weeks ago for $4500, but it was a 2500 miles from me.

Good Luck
Old 04-18-2002, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jaxpcs,whats that about a new 2000 tecate ? are you sure you know what you're talking about.i've been dealing with machines since i was 15 years old i buy one or two new machines each year all from different dealers.
i always shop and abuy where ever they are willing to give me the best deal.
you can haggle prices on machine s oif all nature,i've haggled on harlies ,quads ,bikes and everything in between.you might have it tough in florida,but everywhere else i've ever seen is negotiable on the MSRP.
and i hate to contradict people but you can buy brand spanking new machines off the internet and yes sport quads included.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got ex-inlaws in the Harley Davidson retail business. They have franchise rights that they have paid dearly for and are given exclusive territories according to population and inventory according to floor space. You can buy a brand new Harley from someone over the internet, but the bike will have been previously titled and will not be purchased from a Harley Davidson dealership. I don't know anyone in the Japanese motorcycle retail business, but I was told by the ex-inlaws that similar arrangements applied to the Japanese franchises.

If you can haggle in your area, consider yourself lucky. The shops in this area act as if they are doing you a favor by taking your money. That was the main reason I left the state to buy my bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement