Off Roading Forums banner

Off-roading in Texas???

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I used to go to Fort Hood near Austin to go wheeling but it is closed thanks to the greenies and this new war. So now I am looking for places around Austin and over in east Texas around the Lufkin/Tylor area. Also does anyone know of any 4x4 clubs around these area's?
Thanks.

-Paul

1989 S10 Blazer 4x4

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Paul,

I've heard of a place called "The Slab" that's just west of Austin, and another place called "The Den" that's somewhere near San Antonio or Austin. Unfortunately, I don't know where they are. But you might want to try Robert's website at www.frankentaco.com . He goes to The Slab quite often and might have directions on how to get there on his website.

As for East Texas near Lufkin, there's a private ORV park called Shiloh Ridge one or two miles north of a small town called Alto, which is about 30 minutes north of Lufkin. Shiloh Ridge has a website at www.shilohridge.com . When it rains, it gets extremely muddy and slippery. So if you like mud, this is the place to go.

There's another private ORV park in Gilmer, which is northeast Texas. I haven't been there yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good also. It might be too far of a drive for you, though.

As for local clubs, I know there are several in this big state of ours, but the only that comes to mind right now is a cyber club called TX4x4 . I don't know the website address for it, but you might be able to find it at the local DFW/Arlington website, which is at http://arlington.tx4x4.org .

Hope this helps. Take care,

#3 ·
I have been to the slab. I went out there last year with a buddy of mine. It's near the Marble falls area. "The slab" is the bed of the Llano river. It's pretty fun wheelin'. Lot's of sand, pretty much all sand with some muddy areas. Some areas the sand is wet and has that "jello shake" to it when you tap it with your foot. Pretty tough stuff, not hard to get stuck in if you take it lightly. I have pictures from out there, but my scanner took a dump so no way to post 'em as of yet. Be careful where you enter the river bed at, there are very few "public acess" areas there. I know of one for sure (would have to get friend to refresh my memory on exact directions to it). The little dirt road at this place is the public part, if you pull off into the grassy area around it, you will be trespassing. A game warden went by and informed us of that as we had pulled off the trail to unload my friends father-in-law's 4 wheeler. So, once you leave the asphalt, don't pull off until you are down into the sandy bed. Also, if you see an area where there is a concrete damn like road, with water going over it, DO NOT CROSS IT IF THERE IS A BARRACADE! The police patrol that area and are just waiting to give you a ticket for doing it. Also, Texas law states that any post (such as for a fence) painted purple is a legal "no trespassing marker". The property line shifts with the changing river bed, so stay away from vegatation lines. The sandy area is a safe bet, and the closer to the river you are the better off you will be. As long as you keep these things in mind, and make a reasonable attempt to wheel without encrouching on others, you will have a good time and not be bothered. Use your head and you will be fine.

#5 ·
AWESOME!! Thanks for the links and information. Much appreciated. I had forgot I posted here and just remembered so it was a very pleasant surprise to see these responses. Made my day. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Yup, I have driven through Alto for some time now and never figured that out...but I will be on the look out now. Sand is a lot of fun but I usually go down to the coast to get some...the slab will be a lot closer and it is good to know some of the "rules" of the area. I have been to the Gilmer website and emailed them to see what they had for a stock S10 and they told me that they had enough to make it fun for me so I might go check that out one of these days. TX4x4 club huh...I will see what is up with that. Hmmm that taco looks like he is having some fun..see what that is all about. Wow I have a lot to check out now!
Thanks again...very helpful.

-Paul

1989 S10 Blazer 4x4

G
#7 ·
besides "the slab," which is a whole lotta fun, there is Barnwell Mt. in northeast Texas, Shilo Ridge near Alto, Crockett, etc. in east Texas, Lake Merideth OHV area in north Texas, The Den, in San Antonio (actually, it's inside the city limits), Cibolo Creek in Shertz/San Antonio area, Rough Canyon near Del Rio, and if you hook-up with a Jeep club, they have leases on hunting lands all over the place. most of the land in Texas is privately owned since Texas was a Republic before it was a state and had no programs for taking ownership of land. in that case, it's really mostly rich people and corporations that own much of the land. BUT, there is a loophole, it seems to be perfectly legal for anyone to travel any "navigable waterway" by any means they choose. that these "navigable waterways" are to be regarded as highways, the way they were in the 1800's. but now some people are debating on which rivers and creeks are "navigable." well, as far as we can tell, it's any waterway that is 30 or more feet wide and has a bare bank area where no vegetation is growing. legality stops at the line where vegetation grows. also, since they are now considered "public highways" and "navigable," any waterway meeting these requirements is not to be blocked by any private fence or other means. it also cannot be altered from it's course for use in irrigation or in attempt to dislodge it from it's "highway" status. blah, blah, blah........it's all true, but i went on too long. talk to ya later. also look-up RS2477 roads.

dave

G
#8 ·
Thanks for the links....I never heard of the Taco site and I've been all over the web in Texas, so I'll check it out.

You should search the Texas Offroad Network website.

We host mostly dirtbike club sites, but we also host alot of forums for Jeep clubs as well as dirtbike clubs. There are alot of Austin guys on the TON and several of the Staff are Jeep club officers.

We also host the old TXMud website now too, so there's a good supply of trail info there...although most of the trails listed aren't quite legal, if you know what I mean....

Drop by the TON site anytime and post on the uper category forums for offroad areas....you'll get a good reply and if you search the forums, you'll find an abundance of info on trails, clubs and other Texas Offroad related stuff.

See you there....good luck with your search.

Bobby - Head Honcho
Texas Offroad Network
www.texasoffroad.net

#9 ·
I went to Gilmer (Barnwell Mtn.) for a Suzuki trail ride event last August. I was very impressed with the variety of trails for all types of vehicles. When I came home, I joined Texas Motorized Trails Coalition, which owns Barnwell Mtn. They are friendly folks. Also, hopefully they will soon acquire more off-road land (in Central Tx, please!!!)

G
#11 ·
I'm now in San Marcos attending SWT, but prior to that I lived in San Antonio. "The Den," as you guys are referring to it is actually known as, "Devil's Den." It is located behind and on the same road as a night club called "Joe's Volcano." (The club sucks @ss...filled with hoodrats last time I went to the supposed "college night".) But, from what I've heard, Devil's Den is closed off, and now San Antonio is building a new subdivision in its' place. There is a good area in Converse (famed hs Judson school district) by the railroad tracks that cross through the small city. Also between I10 and Universal City, Loop 1604 connects the two, and there are a few trails by a few small tanks/lakes that are good 4 wheeling territory. Nothing worth driving from Houston/DFW for, though. Sorrray.
-mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.