Off Roading Forums banner

Lock-Right Lockers

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Im considering ordering a Lock-Right Performance Locker and am looking for some feedback from anyone who is running one. Good, Bad, Noise, Anything will help. Thanks

G
#2 ·
At the top of the screen there is a search button. Try a search function on "lockright" or "Lock Right" on the Shortwheelbase bbs, for the past 6 months or so. Tons of feedback is available.

Short version: not as durable as full-case locking differentials (such as detroit, ARB, OX), but cheap, easy to install, and they work pretty well. They aren't as well-mannered on-road, but they're liveable. I have one in both of my vehicles.

Try the search. Then, if you have any more ???s, let us know.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

#3 ·
Welcome to the BBS. I am running a lockrite in a AMC20 with one piece axles and 33's. I havent had any problems with it. It works awesome off road, and on the street you notice it occasionally. It will make noise sometimes when turning a corner and releasing - nothing bad - thats just how it works. I wouldn't give it up for anything - well mabye a detroit and some 4.56 gears/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Lugnut 77 cj5

#4 ·
I had one in the front (d30) of my 82 CJ-7 for 5 years and it has worked well on the trails here in Moab. Like any locker, it makes turning on slick rock tough so I installed a twin stick shifter to take the front out until needed. Last fall I tore up the r&p in the front and will now go back with an ARB and a manual air switch setup. The Loc-Rite showed NO signs of abuse, only shinny spots on the clutch teeth. Maybe I have just been lucky.

GM

G
#5 ·
I have one in my front D30, Spool in the rear with 4:88's on 35's. I have only had one chance to use it and this was in Paragon Offroad Park. The only problem I found is that there were times that I had to unlock my hub so that I could turn the wheels while I was on some rocks. This was a pain but it worked fine otherwise. Pontiac58 was a great spotter that day so thanks Jim..

I had no noise, or any problems. I am considering doing a twin stick on my D20 so that while on the rocks I can go 2wdlow in the rear while steering when needed.

This is my first front locker, I was amazed on how well it did. While the hub was unlocked I would be a sitting duck but when we locked it back up I climbed everthing.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club

#6 ·
Had one in the rear amc20 for several years and I liked it. Made a ticking noise as it ratcheted around tight slow turns on pavement. Best to push in the clutch and coast thru a tight parking spot or u turn. The odd time it would make a bang after straightening out. Lasted well. Broke the alignment pins after the two piece axles spun a hub. Replaced the pins and went on with one piece axles till I traded it all for the 44 and detroit. Detroit is much smoother,but no more effective off road.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

#7 ·
One hint if you order a lock-rite: don't get the more expensive kit with the side gear couplers. Just re-use your side gears, or that thing will lock and unlock violently since the new couplers have square teeth instead of the round ones.
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...

G
#9 ·
I had one in my CJ-5 with a Dana 44, it was great off road but made a lot of clicking and clunking going around corners. I now have the Powertrax No-Slip in my CJ-7's AMC20 and works a lot smoother. It gives the same traction as the Lock-Right but makes almost no noise on the street. It does cost about $100 more, but it's well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.