Off Roading Forums banner

Anybody pass emissions with open loop system?

802 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Swede 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has modified their 258 to run open loop (nutter bypass, holley carb, etc), then tried to pass emissions. If so, I am wondering if you passed or had trouble with something. Based on how poorly my engine was running and the clusterf*ck that the vacuum lines were in, I would think that after my mods it should run better than it did before and maybe contaminate less. Of course, none of the exhaust is being recirculated so that may be a problem.

jay

G
#2 ·
Without exhaust recirulation, and all the emissions stuff on, I would think that it would be very very hard to pass emissions unless your 258 has like 8 miles on it. MY 258 just barely passed, and I have a brand new carb (the stock one), and all new stock ignition stuff on it, so even with no mods it was still tough, but then again, your engine may be in better shape than mine, its got 135000 on it.

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX
Damn you, Firestone!! Now I have drag slicks!!

#4 ·
My 88YJ 4.2 passed the test three times here in FL,with and old Carter BB and the Nutter bypass, allways made sure to have the motor good and hot. I have a Weber on now but they stoped testing in my county anway.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails

#5 ·
My 80 258 passed ohio e-check with flying colors and the vacume system/air pump was disconected. I am running a Weber, with TeamRush ignition and a old cat. The vacume lines were leaking so I removed all of the except for the PCV system, distributer advance, and charcoal canister. The engine runs great now!

Here are the stats from the test:

Measured Limits
HC 19.1 PPM 174.0 PPM
CO 1.12% 2.19%
CO2 11.8 % N/A

This was measured after an oil change (synthetic) and the engine had been run on the interstate for 30 minutes to get the cat good & hot.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.