Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - O/T Tomatoes..
Thread: O/T Tomatoes..
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
OlllllllOCJ
Keyboard Implanted

Good to see you post Jim. Good luck with your tomatoes.

I have six plants.
Early Girl
Pink Brandywine
Black Prince
Parks Whopper
Goliath
Cherokee Purple

The first five plants went into the ground on Mother's Day. I didn't find a Cherokee Purple at Lowes or Wal Mart so I sent out a posse of sister in laws and the caught one for me. Put the Cherokee Purple into the ground Memorial Day weekend. All are doing great so far, all over 3' tall with some at 4' tall. The Early Girl already has over a dozen tomatoes from marble size to golf ball size. The Goliath has a marble size tomato when I planted it and that tomato is now baseball size.

What do folks use for stakes or cages?

I have used a simple 6' wood stake, bamboo a couple different ways, ends up falling over. Made Tee Pee shaped things from three pieces of wood for several years. Took way too much time but I built cages that are much more sturdy and reusable for years from 1/2" PVC pipe, 1/2" rebar and cable ties this year.

O/T Tomatoes..-tomatos.jpg

Four 3' pipes sit down over 2' lengths of rebar driven into the ground a little over 1'. The rungs are 1' long. That is a whole bunch of holes to drill. Fastened together with cable ties. I have added an identical set on top to make them all 6' tall now.

I hope to have to give away lots of tomatoes this year. Last year I was buying them at the Farmers Market.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatos.jpg (96.5 KB, 2 views)

Excellent Bad Example

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome