Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Returning after 10 years with a 85 CJ7... tire / wheel quesitons
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
4x4garage
Enthusiast

Returning after 10 years with a 85 CJ7... tire / wheel quesitons

So I used to be a very regular poster here and used to do quite a bit off roading back when I lived in So Cal. 3 kids and a move to Texas and I have been out of the Jeep game until now. I just picked up a California 86 CJ-7 with the old 258 and Carter Carb. Its got all the emissions junk on there and has some issues. It's got once spot of rust on it and I new the old owner well.

For some background I have owned and made significant modifications to a 74 CJ-5, 80 Toyota Pickup, and 2000 TJ... but it seems some things have changed in 10 years and man I kind of felt ignorant tonight for the first time in a while.

Is it me or are the floating tire sizes for a 15 inch wheel going away? Tire rack only offered 4 crappy tires (crappy as in, no way near enough lugs for me!). Currently has 3 inch leaf spring lift and 32x11.50x15's on her. It has been sitting in a garage for 8 years. The tires are garbage... so my question. (yes I can be long winded)...

What are the most popular rim size / tire size that would be an appropriate swap? It seems the floating tire sizes in 15 inch rims anyway are going away or less common? Is everyone running 16 or 17inch rims now? I want to try to find a fairly popular size that is right for the jeep, so they won't be stupid expensive.

Things to consider... I am thinking of putting on the 4 inch Rubicon express leaf springs... or having some custom packed... so I might want to go a bit larger.

Lots more posts to come as I dig through and try to decide things like, fix the 258 and dumb down the emissions (nutter bypass maybe) or drop in a 304 (me likey but the axles won't... it has an AMC 20 )

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1966.jpg (98.6 KB, 1 views)

Scott Poliseno
www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome