Off Roading Forums banner

YJ small block chevy swap.

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  redjeep 
G
#1 ·
I remember reading somewhere about a kit for installing a small block chevy in my YJ. Has anyone here done this? I'm curious about your experiences before I look further into this. Any thoughts would be welcome.

#2 ·
It's not quite that simple... to do it right you'll need to change:
  • wiring
  • emissions
  • exhaust
  • motor mounts
  • radiator
  • associated accessories
  • engine to transmission adapter, or
  • If using GM transmission, transmission to transfer case adapter
  • Drive lines to take additional power
  • Rear end to take additional power.
  • Possible front spring mods
  • Fuel pump (if it's fuel injected)
  • Possible gas sender,
  • ... and the list goes on, this was off the top of my head...
IMHO, you usually loose more than you gain. If your intent on a V8, drop in an AMC 360.
  • What are you trying to gain from a V8 swap?
  • Will it really give you what you want?
  • Do you know how much this is going to cost (a whole lot)?

#3 ·
First you need to know about the emissions laws in your state and what restrictions it puts on engine swaps.

I put a Chevy TPI in my CJ, but it was pretty simple. No inspections in Kansas, so that wasn’t a problem.

I already had the T-176 transmission, which was strong enough to hold up to a larger engine so it was a matter of buying a bellhousing that bolted them together. I also had to buy a wiring harness and have the exhaust done. I’d already swapped to a 3-core radiator when a solder joint came loose and let the old radiator go into the fan. For me it was pretty simple but I did a lot of research before I attempted it.

I don’t know YJ so you’ll have to look into what transmissions you can use or if yours will handle it. It’s a pretty common swap so you should be able to find a lot of information on it. Do the research and do it right and you’ll enjoy it. Fail to do the research and go at it haphazardly and you’ll likely be trailering it to sell as scrap.

#4 ·
Check my advice in your other post.

What engine is in your YJ now? The back axle definitely won't hold up to a potent V8, and the front axle is marginal IMO although some folks have made them last for years. If you have the six cylinder the transmission is probably one that won't take it either. To do a V8 swap into a YJ you really have to want it. And have a thick wallet, even if you do all of the work yourself.

#5 ·
If you are wanting to go with a newer engine....and long as it is basically hooked up the same way as it came out of the donor vehicle, emmissions laws are not an issue....

I put a 93 5.7L TBI in my 84 CJ....I used the 4L60 tranny that came with the engine (computer controls both the engine and tranny).

The project took me 2 years...but I was also do a frame up restore and spent a lot of time out of town on business.

Excluding the cost of the engine and tranny, the swap cost me about $1500. One thing leads to another.....

A stock D35 will not last long behind a SBC.....

You might want to consider the Chevy 4.3 V6. If you get one out of an S10 Blazer that already has 4wd...the xfer case drop is on the drivers side like your YJ...the engine is short so you have plenty of room...you won't have to shorten your driveshaft...you will most likely be able to use the existing tranny cross member with just a couple of mods...and it puts out about 220HP....and gets good gas mileage....

#6 ·
sb chevy swap

hi most of these guys have heard this before but but may 2 cents is: if you want it do it.... take your time, research, dont be in a hurry, and your will love it when you get it done, i sure love mine.. it is a 305 built up in a 1981 cj8 scrambler, i dont know about a yj either but i would just get all the info on doing a cj and go from their,,,, i have hundreds of pic of my complete ground up or should say frame off rebuild if you need anything that i can do to answer any questions just ask

Attachments

G
#7 ·
V8 swap kit?

I also want to swap in a Chevy in my YJ. I have a 350tpi with ecm and a painless harness I picked up. not sure yet if I want 700r or th350, but I have one of each. I read some where you can use the front half of an s10 transfercase on the jeep transfercase to adapt. has any one done this? Also want to know about a Kit? or headers and mounts

[/URL][/IMG]

#8 ·
I would go with the 700r hands down....besides having the 4th gear, it is tougher (later models) than the TH350...the 700r is somewhere between the old 350 and 400 trannys....

As for the S10 xfer case....the setup used in the S10 blazers was typically a 4.3 TPI, 4L60E tranny and NP231 (I think). Basically, you can take the S10 setup and swap that into your a YJ without a lot of mods.

Motor mounts....I would suggest Novak over Advanced Adapter.

Headers? Don't waste your time and money....Jeeps are rock crawlers...unless you like to run your engine in the 5000 RPM range or higher all the time....the TPI puts out plenty of power....save the money so you can replace the D35 when you destroy it.

#10 ·
engine swap

my 75 76 77 cj5 fiber glass body all rewired head light to tail light all of dash and a built 350 chevy but--- just threw a rod threw the oil pan #3 cyl. bent the valve tore the block up so now im looking to get a 327 o and replaced all i could with stainless bolts , yes then i can take out a leaf or two and do away with the 7 qt oil pan thats in way of front drive shaft if i do so, need to look into my 3 speed trans and the transfer case?? if i can find out what they are nn its 44s front and back if im right ,,, not a jeep person like some on here i just like strong and thumping engines-----excertia excertia excertia BOW

#14 ·
I remember reading somewhere about a kit for installing a small block chevy in my YJ. Has anyone here done this? I'm curious about your experiences before I look further into this. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Looks like things got a bit out of hand quickly... Come on folks this is the guys third post.

You need to think through many things but one of the very most important aspects is.... How do you want to use it??

Don't let anyone tell you there is only one way to do anything.

If you want to wheel a YJ with an SBC... It's going to take some time and effort.

If you just want to drive it on the street... Somewhat less effort.

Don't take this wrong... There is some advise above... But geeze!!!

It's going to be a long winter... Wake me for the Bash.
:cheers:
Dale

G
#15 ·
The sbc was an idea, I have a 4.0 in now and might just look into freshing it up a bit to start. I work for an auto parts house so getting parts isn't a problem. I'm just purchasing 12 acres of land so once the shop gets built on it, I will have plenty of room to work on the project. I'm thinking about building a short road around the property as kinda a test course for trying stuff out on but not sure yet.

Are there ways to get extra out of the stock 4.0?

#16 ·
Advanced Adapters is a lot of help in this area. They have all the mounts and adapters you need.

I have a 383 hooked up to an NV4500 and dana 300 in mine. It works great. I run an edelbrock mpi system. It's an older engine, 1979, so no computer. Except for the edelbrock system. Headers are a pain in the ass. I had them, and now I have the factory manifold.
Have fun and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.