Off Roading Forums banner

Stroked 351 W or 460 BIG Block???

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Shovel 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I was doing some thinking this weekend, and eventually I will need a new engine.
I'm gonna go up alittle higher and put 44" boggers on her.
So, I'm not sure how much MORE my 302 can take. I was thinking either a professionally (carb) built 351 W stroked or a 460.
I'm thinking maybe the 351 would be cheaper and easier....i could use my Edelbrock heads, same motor mounts, and same trans.
What would be a good stroker size for a 351W? I see all different sizes 392,392,408,418, and 420.
Or do you think I should go with the 460 for reliability issues?

Let me know what you think guys.

Thanks,
Jerry D.

G
#3 ·
I am no expert on engine building but I know that there are a ton of aftermarket parts for the 351 and I am sure you could build a sweet one. However if it were me I would opt for the 460. Cubic inches are everything. I bet you could spend less on the swap than on a 351 bored and tweaked the way you want it. I also think the swap is fairly straight forward. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used the same E4OD tranny so it should be a direct bolt in. Maybe a new bellhousing. I don't really know though. Someone should be around shortly to help you out and correct me if I am wrong.

#4 ·
If you are power happy why not beef up the 302? Stroke it to a 347 and blow it? 500 horses and 500 ft.lbs. of torque. Save gas unless you think it's' gettin cheaper, save weight, and have more power than a 460.
Gearing is the best deal. I've seen little Zuk's with 64 horses, 33's, lincoln lockers, and gearing do some extreme schtuff. A 302 in a bronc with the proper gearing and suspension would be fine. This said, I got 400 horses, a blower on my 302. I did this because I tow about a 4,000 pound boat and like the punch when I'm playing around. It has not helped my wheeling as much as gearing and lockers. You got the axels to handle 44's? Breakage is a bi&5$!

#6 ·
If you go 460, you'll need another C6 cuz the bellhousing bolt pattern is different.
As much as I like 460's, it'll be easier to do the stroker. No exhaust mods and the rest of the drivetrain stays the same.

#7 ·
Stroke the 302 and you can use everything you are currently using. Add a Powerdyne blower and you can get 500 horses and 500 ft.lbs of torque and still maintain some semblance of mileage. I've been getting 12mpg on the road and 10 forking around town and in the dirt. My investment in Desktop Dyno helped me with the decision you are facing. I did not stroke my 302, wish I had. I like it but am greedy for more. I would probably just break, you could put it to the ground without breaking. Would be lighter than a 460 too! With the blower I did invest in bigger injectors and converted to mass air then added a 70mm mas housing. Oh ya horse and torque figures above include windsor junior heads. I should have gone with GT40's.

#9 ·
Well, guys, I'm thinking a 408 stroker will do.
I would love to get the BIG block but the budget is the problem. The bigger the $$$ longer I have to wait to build it.
And I was thinking I don't want to loose my A/C either.
I just had that custom C-6 built,Edelbrock performer heads, new motor mounts, and new radiator.
I'll just build it so when I get bored with power, I'll just slap a roots type blower on it.
Will all my 302 brackets for accesories fit on a 351w? Or should I start looking for those now?

Thanks,
J.D.

#11 ·
You will have to get new a/c brackets cause they hook up to the heads and the water pump. the alt. should be fine except for the adjustment arm will have to be off of a 351w for the extra width of the motor. So I guess the answer is yes you will need new brackets for the accessories. just go buy a parts truck and get ti over with then you will have everything you need including the y pipe. But I think you run headers anyway right either way the exauhst will have to be reworked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.